OS .12 CV-RX break-in review (long)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinRazorback

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Finished up break-in with the OS .12 CV-RX on my RC10 GT and thought I would let you guys know how it went.

The conditions are as follows for both Saturday and today.
Temp approx 90 degrees
Humidity approx 50%

Fuel: Trinity Monster 20% Power blend
Also using AE FT polished manifold and tuned pipe
Plug: OS #8, Ofna/Picco med. plug
Also used were the FT 4shoe flywheel/clutch (for non-pull start), RRP 17T clutchbell, and Kimbrough 66T spur gear
*I decided to go with a clutchbell with one more tooth and a tuned pipe for top end in effort to keep the front wheels down

Saturday
First, I set the High Speed Needle Valve at 2 full turns out as instructed in the manual. Aplied the glow starter and pulled. And pulled. And pulled. Nothing. After several pulls without a start, I noticed the pull start getting harder and harder to pull. So I removed the #8 plug and yanked on the starter a bit and a large amount of fuel and oil came out. Checked the plug and it was glowing bright orange so I was ok there. Replaced the plug and tried again at the same settings with the same results. After getting the fuel out for a second time I decided to lean it down to 1 1/2 turns on the HSNV to get it to start. After 3-4 pulls the engine started but was running very rich (spitting oil out of the pipe and I could feel fuel out of the carb). The engine ran for about 30 seconds before shutting off. Applied the glow starter and tried to pull but it was locked again. You know the drill. After emptying the fuel, I leaned the HSNV again to 1 1/4 turns out. Let it cool for about 5 mins and gave it a pull. It started right up this time but still running very rich. It ran for a little under 2 mins at idle with me blipping the throttle every 15 secs or so befor it shut off. The head felt hot but I had an .15 CV-RX before and knew that OS's ran really hot. After letting it cool down again I filled up (it was down at almost 1/2 tank for less than 3 mins of running) and pulled on it and it was locked up again
Leaned it down to 1 full turn out (2 half turns) and gave it a yank. The engine screamed for about 3 seconds and then came down to idle. I decided it was time to run the truck on the ground so I let it put around giving it a little bit of throttle in short durations. It ran rich with alot of smoke approx 3 mins before cutting off. This happened once more before the tank was empty. Fueled it up again and left the HSNV the same. Went to start it but it wouldn't, so I removed the plug and it was fouled. Replaced it with an Ofna/Picco plug and it started. The engine ran for 2 mins before cutting out and flooding. Leaned the HSNV in about 30 degrees and it ran sluggishly through the rest of the tank. I forgot to charge my glow starter the night before and it was now dead so I was through for the day

Sunday
Started up immediately and ran through half a tank before dying. I leaned the HSNV another 30 degrees and nearly finished the tank before it died. Seemed to be alot of fuel in the carb so I decided to lean the low end about 10 degrees. The engine started easily and ran through an entire tank without cutting out and still a large amount of smoke from the exhaust. Tank four and five were ran entirely at the same settings. Tank 6 and 7 I leaned it a bit and it started to come alive. It did die once during tank 7 and since I don't have a temp gun I did the old spit test. It didn't even burn it all off so I figured it wasn't running too hot. I set the HSNV to just a little more than 1 1/2 turns out and gave it a go. I started to give it alot of throttle and it was flying all around my cove. At 3/4 throttle this engine is faster than the stock AE engine.

Impression: This is the pickiest engine I have broken in so far, which includes the stock AE RTR engine, OS .15 CV-RX, TRX .15, GS .21B01P, and Kyosho's .21 used on the Mad Force. However, I feel it is worth the break-in b/c it is a strong engine and on the GT it is really fast. Also, you get OS quality and durability, and the extra money paid up front is worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the info on your break in. The engine is a good little engine I have one for back up for the .15 cvrx thats in my rc10gt.

I just got done breaking in my OS TR .12 about 5 minutes ago. I’m on my 12th tank and its just now allowing me to tune it for power. Picky? Yes Worth it? O-Ya.

I finely got my Losi XXXNT-DA dialed in for the paved oval and decided to return my AE Factory Team back into a dirt truck. The TR is a wicked engine. I kept the 15/66 gearing and put a stinger pipe mounted in the stock AE position. I race on a super small track and need to keep the revs up in it power band. I had to loosen the slipper to keep the front wheels on the ground. Just touch the throttle and it flips over.

I hope you have as much fun as I do with mine.

Thanks guys. I have the nut backed all the way out as well. I can't wait until the weekend to put it through it's paces and really see what it's made of.

Oh yeah, Hunter, it must be nice to have $175 engines sitting around as a back up! :wtf: Just messing with ya!

Originally posted by FlyinRazorback
Thanks guys. I have the nut backed all the way out as well. I can't wait until the weekend to put it through it's paces and really see what it's made of.

Oh yeah, Hunter, it must be nice to have $175 engines sitting around as a back up! :wtf: Just messing with ya!

It is:D