Looking for obscure truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushlessboy

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey there guys and girls.
I race truggy class and have an X1, and X2, a couple of MBX5T's and an RC8T.
The other day sitting in the LHS having a coffee a couple of us, (6 of us race for the LHS) decided we would embark on a challenge..
We would look for a low grade truggy and see if we could make them even remotely competitive on the track.
One guy is going Smartech. It was suggested I go a GV Leopard, (I believe its XTM over there)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a really bad, or just an obscure, no name or low end truggy that I could try?
Truggy rules here are the same as over there.

I am in Japan.....we have brands I have never seen anywhere but here. I can check my LHS sometime if you would like me to.

That would be great. Just some odd names would be good. HSP is one that would be funny but they dont seem to make a 1/8 that fits into truggy.

I will see what I can dig up....I have seen a few off brands when I find something I will let you know and get pictures.

Look for Redcat products. They are really of the wall.

try giovanni or hiroda, Very low end beginer trucks and truggies!!

I don't have any suggestion but I just wanted to say I think that's is a very cool endeavor you guys are undertaking. Let us know what you guys find out. I'm keeping tabs on this one.

I think Colt is the closest off-brand I can find so far.....the one they had is hopped up so it does not 'look" that bad.

I have a little Colt Mars buggy, (2 in fact) and they are the sweetest 1/10 4wd buggies at the low end of the market. I also have the 'Hard Rock' which is the 1/10 M/T version, but I haven't seen a truggy. I'll look closer.
I will look at Redcat and have never heard of Giovanni and Hiroda, but there's a couple of good leads there.
Thanks guys, will check them out.

Couldn't find ANYTHING on Giovanni, except models and hair care,,,,,, Hiroda had buggies, but no real truggy, BUT the Redcat Monsoon XP looks like it is a front runner, along with the Exceed Battallion. The pair of them look exactly like what I'm after..

Hey guys, check out the SHELL of the 'Mad Beast Nitro truck' on the Exceed Battallion link.
Thats cool..

Couldn't find ANYTHING on Giovanni, except models and hair care,,,,,, Hiroda had buggies, but no real truggy, BUT the Redcat Monsoon XP looks like it is a front runner, along with the Exceed Battallion. The pair of them look exactly like what I'm after..

Hey guys, check out the SHELL of the 'Mad Beast Nitro truck' on the Exceed Battallion link.
Thats cool..

If you have any questions about the Redcat Monsoon let me know, I own one. I think that with just a few hop-ups it would definitely be a sleeper at the races, it's well made and quite powerful.

Does it have to be nitro?

Does anyone else find it funny that Brushlessboy is looking for a nitro and sweetdiesel is recommending electric? Ironic name choices no?

:p:

Well, I haven't recommended an electric...yet. I happen to have an obscure electric truggy that wouldn't mind taking a trip to OZ. :hehe:

Never fear, brushlessboy still has 10 brushless, and 4 brushed lekkies.
I race nitro because the local clubs dont race electric. (although on a regular club day there is a brushless buggy that goes around with the nitro)
That also answers sweetdiesels question. YES, unfortunately it does, unless I stick just to club days.
If your serious about letting go of one of your truggies PM me. Always room for 1 more at my place.

Last edited:
One who reads between the lines often miss the message! This is the art of changing the subject! Stay Focused! Hahahahahaha

What about the art of reading the date? This thread is 3 1/2 years old!

Back