Tmaxx 3.3 4908 Tuning / Running problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfienew

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I started a friend's truck this afternoon for the first time since he had it come in the mail. It's a used truck and was extremely hard to start. I have tuned tmaxx trucks before and returned everything to factory defaults. LSN and HSN were factory. The truck would start and idle, but a couple of times without any prompt from the transmitter the truck would race out of control, full throttle. It wasn't the servo!!! Luckily I was holding the truck off the ground when it went mad. I could see the throttle servo and it didn't move. In addition there was a lot of unburned fuel coming out the exhaust. Like the truck was running way rich. However it was set at HSN factory settings. I've tried to be as specific as possible with the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where should I start first and then where to go from there?

I Appreciate your time guys

I'd check for air leaks and seal all that can be sealed. The front bearing also is another possible source for air leaks along with the rear backing plate seal. Use some RTV sealant and you should be good to go. Good luck bud.

thanks for the reply. You confirmed my suspicion that air was getting in somewhere. I looked at the exploded views in the traxxas website but there really is no way of knowing where to look for air leaks. Sorry, somewhat of a newbie. Where can there be leaks, specifically!!!

Thanks
Chris

I got the PERFECT vid for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much appreciated, at least we have a great starting point now. I'll let you know how I make out with it.

Thanks Again

Ok followed the video above to find that the front bearing is bad. I took off the cluch bell to discover that the edges of the clutch in the center were crumbled in several small pieces. So new clutch, as well the front bearing is leaking. I don't know how to stop the wheel in order to losen the nut and get at the bearing to replace it. What's the drill there how do I get the flywheel to jam and get the nut off. Or Is that how to do it?

Any help Appreciated
Thanks

You need one of these to stop the piston from moving so you can pry off the flywheel.

How do I get The Internal Bearing out once I remove the crankshaft and front bearing???

Any Help would be great!!!

How do I get The Internal Bearing out once I remove the crankshaft and front bearing???

Any Help would be great!!!

Heat it up in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes and then bang it on a towel-covered surface.

Man you guys are out of this world. Absoutely awesome with the advise. In any event I don't believe I have to replace the internal bearing. It was the front bearing that was causing the air leak in the engine.

What DOES cause that bearing to breakdown and leak air anyway?

Thanks Again
Newfienew

Heat and side load stress causes a good portion of bearing failure.

When I go to put the new bearing in place what is the best method for pressing in the new front bearing? Do I need a new washer or will the one that came from the old front bearing be ok? I doesn't seem damaged in any way...In any event I'm looking through youtube and can't seem to find a video of any kind on pressing in the front bearing, looking for help again...

Thanks all
Newfienew

Heat the case up to 300 degrees again and carefully tap it in place with a plastic headed hammer, or if you have access to an arbor press that works too. Be careful when installing it and DO NOT INSTALL IT **** EYED. If it cocks to the side then you could be screwed lol.

Back