High Idle Speed Saga Continues...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangMan

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In my previous post I stated how my Savy RTR was idling too high...

I got some good advice on checking my needles an what not. I got another tank through the truck this evening, tank number five, and she's really starting to come around. I can pull small wheelies in the grass and she's shifting into second gear too.... :w00t:

BUT....

I still can't get the idle to come down. When I stop the truck you can tell the idle is just high enough for the clutch to get the "grabbies" and if I pick the truck up off the ground the wheels start to spin madly... :help:

I tried playing with the idle a bit more and the low speed needle some and it didn't help. It even seems to be worse now, hauling around the yard without me even touching the throttle. :shrug:

I'm thinking an air leak, even though it's got just five tanks through it. I pulled the carb and found a hairline crack between the upper and lower O-rings. I applied some high temp RTV and I'm letting it set for the night. I really don't want to mess with the back plate unless I have to. I also checked the fuel lines and tank, they seem to be fine.

I'll know more in the AM when I fire it up again, but anyone have any thoughts on this idle speed problem? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

how about the controller how about the trottle on that? if it brand new it should be fine

I missed the other thread.
Did you check your linkage?
Also, did you check the trim setting on the radio?

Hey guys...

I could swap the crystal with one of my other three radios just to check it. Not a bad idea since I don't use/need the third channel of this radio right now...

Ratzo, the original post is down a few titled "The 9,xxxx question..."

I'm new to slide carbs and I think the linkage is set. I pulled the linkage off the slde carb, set the 2mm gap with the idle screw, centered my trim knobs and servo horns and reconnected the linkage, making sure the carb opens fully...

Sound right. I can snap some pics if there's anything you need to see...

"An idle speed that gradually increases is typically caused by a fuel-mixture problem, and its a sign that the LSN has been set too lean. When its running at speed with a properly set main needle, the engine will seem to be properly tunded, but if the idle speed steadily increases, this means the LSN is set too lean."

Directly out of this months RCCarAction. Is that what your problem is?

AC, the original idle problem isn't one of gradual climbing, it just stays at an elevated level. As for the racing it does now, it does run fine at speed, but when I try to slow it down the idle only comes down SO FAR and then stays at an elevated idle...

What happens when you apply the brakes?

Must be your idle adjustment screw, try lower your idle using that. Once you change it make sure to trim it so that the linkage can close it all the way. 1mm gap is usually reccomended. You could also try richening it just to see it it helps lol :shrug:

I tend to agree with AC48 on this one, , 2mm is the suggested break in setting and is usually high, i have had to turn down the suggested opnening on all 4 of my nitro motors. fortunately its an easy fix :)
Get it running, and warmed up. Then gradually close the opening with the adjustment screw. until it idles smootlhy and doesn't grab the clutch at Idle.

Thanks guys...

I just got home from helping some friends with car repairs... I'll fire the truck up shortly and adjust the idle. I know on my T-15 small blocks (RS4s) I had to make the idle gap a bit smaller once broken in, but I thought being a big block this might need a larger opening. Still having a hard time figuring how to "seat" the LSN on a slide carb. I had it way to lean yesterday and it was bogging like no tomorrow....

I'll post an update shortly...

Just finished up the half tank that was in her and it turns out I don't know :censored: about slide carb LSNs...

I had the needle "seated" or so I thought, and opened it up three turns like the book says. WAAAAYYYY too lean. She was still running away from me on the rest of this tank. I ended up having to crank the LSN out another almost full turn to stop the run away, bogging, and bring the temps down.

She's running better now, again pulling small wheelies... :w00t:

But in my few high speed passes on the street she wasn't shifting into second. 'nother problem to look into... :hammer:

The carb gap is now at 1mm and I'm not getting the jerkiness I was before. She'll come to a stop, and slightly roll like the idle is still too high...

I'm letting it cool right now to so I can fill her up with tank number six and check AND set the transmission shift point adjustment...

I'll see if I can get the idle any lower...

Just updating the thread... :beer:

Last edited:
Sounds like your getting there, keep us updated on your progress. Sounds like you just need to turn down the idle just a tidge, run it and maybe lean the HSn just a bit to see if you can get it to shift into second. Once it idles and shifts into second correctly, your there. You'll be happy when your 'there' lol, good luck.

It's too dark now, damn east coast... :D

I'm taking my son to a paintball tournament in the morning, but I'll try to take the Savy for a spin in the AM before we leave and see what happens with a touch less on the HSN...

Thanks...

Back