Glow plug heat range and tuning the TRX 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I currently use the OS # 8 glow plug and they are great. My T-Maxx overheats but I'm considering the Crazynutracing cooling head because they have free worldwide shipping (and I'm living in Denmark) so that sounds fine to me.

That should lower the temparature...

But also i'm thinking about trying some Rossi R4 glow plugs now where it is so hot outside. It's a cold glow plug whereas the OS # 8 is a medium plug.

Now. my question is will the change from a medium to a cold glow plug cause my temparature to drop and secondly.

Will I have to retune the TRX 2.5 engine if i switch glow plug heat range. ?

Thanks in advance.

(BTW) My Maxx is running great now. I had some experienced LHS owner tune it in. He did a great job. Took him only about 2 tanks to get it to idle every time i took the truck in to refuel. :WooHoo.

The 8 plug should be just fine.
IMO the overheating issue would be in tuning of the engine or a good case of TFLOWOT-A

Trigger Finger Locked On Wide Open Throttle - Again :jet:

OK

hehehe WOT is definately happening alot when I drive my Maxx. I simply cannot believe the power of that engine. especially after it has been in the hands of someone who actually dares to turn the different needles a little more than myself.

I'm currently awaiting my temp gun to see what temparatures i actually run at, but I know that they're too high, because after about ½ to 3/4 tank i have to be carefull not to stall the engine. It simply will not idle without dying (It is probably crying for some cooling) And it will not start again without some minutes of cooling. No smoke from the engine though. If I richen it i have no 2nd gear and it gets too much fuel..

Now to keep it short (too late I guess) :coffee:

I allready have one Rossi R4 Cold plug. Will I have to completely retune the engine if I switch to this just to try it out or will it be just some mild tuning on the HSN or what ???

Regards from Denmark

Here's my take. OS plugs are short and the 2.5 calls for a long plug. McCoy mc59 is a real good choice for the maxx. Stalling is not only from heat. You might need to bring your idle up a tad because although your idle is high enough when you first start your engine after it saturates with heat the idle drops some so bump it up a tad and see if that helps. When I start my T cold my idle is a little high until after half the first tank is gone and then its great. Changing the HSN changes your idle so keep that in mind when making adjustments.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCB27&P=0

On the above link the OS # 8 plug is stated as being the long type..

Am I missing something. What is long / short then... If not the actual size. ?:\

Unable to get McCoy in Denmark or any country near here.

OS and Rossi is easy to get allaround

I think that If I set my idle higher the truck will try to tick forward.. Sometimes it allreade is....Can that be ajusted back somehow other than by the idle ajustment if I set the idle higher by the little idle ajustment thingie... ??

Regards....:cheerful:

Both will work.
For the **most part** they have the same specks and will both run in the 2.5.

Same plug different Manufacturers.
You will here the Ford or Chevy argument but they will both work just fine.

OK.

I will try out the Rossi R4 cold plug when I get my temp gun to see if it lowers the temps anything worth mentioning.

Still undecided on if I should get the CrazyNutRacing cooling head or not after reading the Traxxas post inhere....

I'll let the temp gun speak

Just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit.

Regards....:bling:

I guess I learn sumtin new everyday here! I thought all OS plugs were short.

I just went to Radio Shack this weekend, and they have the infrared temp gun for $29.99 on sale. normally $49.99. great deal, fyi.