What was the worse body you ever designed, cut out, mounted?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I can tell you how bad the second body I ever painted came out.

I was a total noob back then. That was when a RTR on-road was blazing fast.

First on-road was an OFNA Nitro Ob4. Came with an accord body if I remember correctly. Anyhow, I wanted to do a cool design, so I got these flame templates and put them on the side.

Wanting to be creative, I decided to paint the body a metalic blue, the flames, spoiler and windows (believe it or not) white!

So first I put the flame templates on, then not knowing about window masks, I took some tape and neatly cut it in such a way to cover the windows...but it looked like poop.

Then I proceeded to paint the body. I never painted before. You know how you do a small painting on the first layer? I just went for it and painted until it got runy. Seeing as how it was gonna look like poop, I took a piece of tissue to get the runniness out of the paint. Making the whole roof with uneven shades of paint.

Then after painting the whole car blue, I removed the flames and window masks, and proceed to do the white. It looked okay, but real ricey.

Okay, so then after painting the car and letting it dry, I cut the body. Not having a dremel, I used lexan scissors. Now this really looked like poop. And on top of that, I eye balled how much to take off for the wheel wells. So they weren't even round!

Okay, so the body was cut, then I mounted it. Without making the hole for the body posts, before painting, I simply had to eye ball it. And it was uneven and then, I had to cut more from the wheel wells on top of that.

So basically, I had the shittiest looking body known to man. I did absolutely EVERYTHING wrong.

Tell me about your stories as a noob, or if you're still a noob, what's the difficulties you've had?

Don't worry, we have all been there. Although I can't say that I've botched a body on this trip through RC, I did mangle many when I was younger. I had no clue what polycarbonate compatible paint was. So we just used whatever. Typically regular spraypaint. I can remember the first body. The car was a classic Associated RC12E. And we got a 1/12 scale F1 body for it. We ended up just masking off the cowl and painted all the body white. Then removed the mask from the cowl and painted the rest black. Sure it was a good idea. But the paint bled all over the place. The black showed through. It was a mess. And back then, the bodies didn't come with many decals or window masks.

Now if I had to offer up a tragedy from this go-round, I'd say this was it:
15truckfront.jpg

I like most of it. But I think I overshaded the tribal patterns on the side. That just bugs me for some reason. If I could do it again I'd be a little more subtle in the shading...

My latest blunder is this

Although my airbrush skills got better with this one as far as outlining and shading I have to say I was pretty high when I did the color scheme and the flames deff didn't come out the way I had pictured.

535paint-med.jpg

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
I have to say I was pretty high when I did the color scheme and the flames deff didn't come out the way I had pictured.

535paint-med.jpg

Remember kids, JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!!!!

Just bustin your ass HB, doesn't look all that bad....

probablly the worse one i did was way back when i ran some on-road 12th scale. i painted a body black with floresent orange stripes. it seems the floresent paint didnt stick well back then. and after about every 2-3 races most of the stripe would be gone. so i would just repaint them again. looked like crap but it beat getting a new body.

My blunder was my 2nd body i painted, my lamborghini body. I had cut it out, and sanded it down had it all ready, was too much in a rush, forgot to wash out the inside of the car, I sprayed it. FINGER PRINTS and dust, and everything else you could imagine was seen. So I decided to paint it from the outside. It is a POS i didnt even runn the body, it just kinda sits there waiting for me to use it a a test body for my airbrush.

The worst one I did was the first one, I painted it with regular spray paint, and half of the paint falled the first day, the problem was that the rest of the paint was heavily stuck so I couldn´t remove it, fortunatelly my painting skills have improved in the last years, this is the last body I painted.

DSC00175.jpg

my worst had to have been my first r/c...a traxxas sledgehammer. without looking in the decal pack, i didnt know about window mask, and so i painted the whole body on the outside, with .99 cent wal-mart white spray paint. i used a pair of regular scissors to cut the wheel wheels and lower trim. then i used black electrical tape for 2 super sport style muscle car racing stripes running over the hood and roof. how bad was it? even my mom that new nothing about R/C cars siad "what the hell is that??"

Doesn't look bad to me, just diferent :jester:

Back