car (engine) holds back

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petal2thametal

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i was running my car yesterday and had a little prob.
i had my car tuned so it would.
# run stationary for about 1 min
# when doing the pince tests it revs up after 3 sec and dies.
# takes of nicely at half throttle
# takes of nicely at full throttle
# can run long and nicely at half throttle
# can run like 2/3 sec at full throttle till it holds back

iam running a 12 rear engine. i dont know if should hear it shift to second, but i can't. i got the shift point screw turned 3 / 3.5 turns from closed. and as soon as my car is about to get to top speed it holds back. its just like it shifts to second and can't excellerate beyond that.

am i right or is it something else?
and what to do. :cheers:

Have you checked your temps. I had the same problem with one of mine and I found that I was actually running too lean on the HSN. At half throttle running around my tmps were around 200 so I thought I was fine. But once it revved up and let it run WOT it ran out of fuel and lost all accelleration. My temps flew up to 320.

Check your temps and richen the HSN a tad see if the problem goes away.

If that does not work try getting your rpms up so it is able to shift. Do this by leaning it. But rods way first.

My .18 did the same thing i was just way to rich. i have a question.....if the Carb. gets 2 hot will fuel bak out of it ??? And if it does get 2 hot does it have 2 be over 270 degrees or somewhere around there ???............................by the way it is a OS Max .18 (if it helps)

From what you described, it sounds like your LSN is about right. If it is bogging at WOT, you need to lean your HSN a bit. If it's stalling at WOT, you need to richen it.

hi all.

thnx for the replys.
the temps are just over 220 to 240.
ill try to lean or richen the HSN. i thought it was running good cause it could accelerate fast and nice @ wot.
ill go check it out next time.
:cheers: