HPI RS4 won't idle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LamboLover

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys I was hoping maybe someone who owns an rs4 or who thinks they can still help me anyway could give a few things I could do to fix the problem my car is having. Ill be running it and lower the throttle around a turn and if I let off completely the engine cuts out and I have to restart it. Any suggestions?

Hey thanks man ill try that. If it's not that do you think I should get a new clutch?

It wouldn't hurt to check to see if the clutch binds. Set it on a block so the wheels are off the ground, start it, if it stays idling while the wheels are off the ground, and then stalls when you set it on the ground, then you might have a clutch issue.

No I have to give it throttle just to start It. It doesn't idle even when I start it. I have to give it gas the whole time or else it dies. I kinda give it. Rolling start- basically I till it gently on the ground with the wheels still running.

You need to raise the idle. Don't just go by the opening of the gap, but adjust it till it idles without pulling forward or stalling. Make your adjustment with the idle trim turned all the way down and the trigger in the full brake position.

What is idle trim "all the way down look like"? Sorry in kind of a noob at this.

The trim is on your transmitter. It's either a knob or a slide. There are two. One for throttle and one for steering.
Example: If, while running the car it will not run straight but keeps going to one side, the trim for steering will compensate.

If you have a throttle trim with "0" in the middle, don't leave it there but turn it all the way down, counterclockwise. Then adjust your idle.

Without the engine running but with the Tx and Rx on, move the trim knobs and get familiar with what they do.

Oh I know the controls on the radio alright ill try it out. At this point I'm pretty much done with this problem car. It's 13 years old and was sitting for a long time before this not good for a car.