Oh crap!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiritdriven7

RCTalk Basher
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
That's what I said.

My 2.5r has been running smooth through all the ranges, usually between 230*-260*. Yesterday, it was running fine but at WOT it stumbled. I checked the temp and it was 330* (outside temp in the 90's)...put it on the bench and the glow plug was loose. Tightened it all down, richened the hsn ⅛ and took it back out this evening. In 5 minutes it shut down...temp @ glow plug was 340*! It would be my guess that I murdered a good engine. :\

Questions: Did the heat cause the metal to expand and loosen the plug...did a loose plug draw in too much air, lean it out and fry the engine...or should I be looking somewhere else for a solution?

Thanks.

In theory a lose plug would cause an air leak, and an air leak would cause a lean condition,

In theory a lose plug would cause an air leak, and an air leak would cause a lean condition,

That is what I'm thinking...I'm sure I didn't tighten it down enough. I was concerned about wrenching it too much. Erred on the side of caution and it backfired.

try another plug with a new washer could have been something trapped under the washer causing it to deform and create an airleak.

Once an engine heats to >350*, does it do irreparable damage?

I can't say for sure I have had one that temp before and it is still running. I have only toasted 1 engine since doing this and of course it was first one I rushed the break in process not knowing what I was doing made it through 1 1/2 tanks.

I needed an excuse to tear one down anyway. I have a 2.5 I had planned to use in a short chassis with a 1950 chevy body. I'll swap out engines and take a good look at this one. May do a rebuild...or power up through Traxxas. I find good deals online for 3.3's once in a while without trading in the old block...I've paid a lot more in the past for much less of an education.

Last edited:
pull the engine down and look at the piston and sleeve ,you should be able to get the piston to the top of the sleeve with pushing through .also check the bearings if they get too hot they can become brittle and the cages can break up during running and destroy a rebuild.
you should be able to get a new 2.5 minus the carb on ebay very cheap , like less than $70

Back