My newest build, in progress

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elwood34

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Here is my new project, couldn't find a kit so I have just ordered everything piece by piece. It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper just to buy a Savage X 4.6 and sell the motor than to go the way I went, but I wanted a project to keep me occupied. I decided to use the new LRP ZR32 with the LRP Z28 rotostart back plate (pull start had to go) that has been collecting dust in my house. My tranny, battery box, fuel tank, and steering linkage should be here today and I got a pipe coming from Robin. I can't wait to get it all together.

IMG_0158_zps18c27f62.jpg

I WANT that engine!!!
I went the opposite way that you did. I bought a complete RTR Savage X and upgraded it till the only stock part left was the engine. Lol. :hehe:
Even the head was upgraded, but under all that alloy lies a 4.6.

Sav6.jpg

I have an LRP .32 on my savage... you WILL NOT regret it. faster than stock, WAY more torque than stock... breaks a lot more stuff than stock also lol, all in all, every dollar pays off

I WANT that engine!!!
I went the opposite way that you did. I bought a complete RTR Savage X and upgraded it till the only stock part left was the engine. Lol. :hehe:
Even the head was upgraded, but under all that alloy lies a 4.6.

Sav6.jpg

Nice. How much time and $$$ Do you have in that??? A ton I bet!!! I know I started adding up the price of all the stock parts I have bought and it is way more than I could have bought it as a kit with the 4.6 motor in it. It is getting close to being done, I worked on it last night, just need to put the shocks on it, servos in it and get my pipe from Robin. I ordered a 72 Chevy body for it yesterday off of ebay, it is already painted, I gave up on painting. LOL.

Here is the body I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAVAGE-X-X-...MZz7HdYEtSsQY2etx4TRI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can't wait to see how this LRP 32 with the ERMC pipe compares to my Savage with the Losi 454, that truck is a screamer. Shouldn't be no contest between the two.

I needed another truck like a hole in the head, I forgot how addictive this hobby really is. I might have to sell one of my trucks to justify this one.

Last edited:
Money is over 2 grand, time is endless. There are also lots of custom made parts on it. It's the joy of the build that's worth it all.

Good luck with yours.

Got a little more done to it last night after work. I still need the grab bar, fuel and air filter, spur gear and slipper clutch assembly, brake assembly, new tires (I put a set on that I had lying around just for looks), my body, and my ERMC pipe (also put on a pipe that I ordered before I got a hold of Robin, its a pipe for a XL 5.9, will probably use this pipe on my Savage 25 with the Losi 454, it has the HPI ribbed pipe and I don't like it). It is getting close, just got to wait for the rest of my parts to arrive.

IMG_0162_zps6051a605.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsfe1d1d6f.jpg

IMG_0164_zps4909db44.jpg

IMG_0165_zps0b97fb16.jpg

IMG_0166_zps21628475.jpg

IMG_0167_zps2db92e58.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite, tonight I have to install the servos, brakes, spur gear, slipper clutch and throttle linkage, also waiting for my rear bumper bracket, I thought I had one but only found the front one. Getting close though. It should be ready to run for the weekend, I doubt I will have my other pipe by then but I can get it broke in with this one.

Isn't the LRP .32 basically a rebranded 454?

Doing a from scratch build is cool. You should look into fast lane machines TVPs and do the mid tank mod. While you are building it there is no better time. Get rid of the mid tank lean and the tvps are way stronger than stock!

Looking great!!
Having started into the nitro scene with a used Savage 25, I'm jealous of all the new and clean parts.:hehe:
Although my engine was already broken in and ready for stomping....:hehe:
Can't wait to see yours completed!

Isn't the LRP .32 basically a rebranded 454?

Doing a from scratch build is cool. You should look into fast lane machines TVPs and do the mid tank mod. While you are building it there is no better time. Get rid of the mid tank lean and the tvps are way stronger than stock!

No the Losi 454 is a 28 not a 32. The LRP Z28 Spec 3 is the exact same motor as the Losi 454, I have a Savage with the LRP 28 and one with the Losi 454, same motors different colors. The LRP 32 is built the same though, LRP doesn't make a rotostart backplate for the LRP 32 that I am aware of but they make one for the LRP 28 which is what I have on this motor and on my Losi 454. I don't like pull start systems!

Do you have a link showing the mid tank mod.? I will have to check into those FLM TVP's, I have seen Savages with them, wouldn't mind getting some.

Last edited:
Looking great!!
Having started into the nitro scene with a used Savage 25, I'm jealous of all the new and clean parts.:hehe:
Although my engine was already broken in and ready for stomping....:hehe:
Can't wait to see yours completed!

I bought my first Savage, not too long ago, it was a Savage 25 that somebody else built with a Losi 454, still got it and 3 other Savages as well, it is one of my favorite trucks. That 25 got me hooked on Savages, I got 2 Traxxas Revos and a Losi LST but I like my Savages the best. I had to build one of my own.

No the Losi 454 is a 28 not a 32. The LRP Z28 Spec 3 is the exact same motor as the Losi 454, I have a Savage with the LRP 28 and one with the Losi 454, same motors different colors. The LRP 32 is built the same though, LRP doesn't make a rotostart backplate for the LRP 32 that I am aware of but they make one for the LRP 28 which is what I have on this motor and on my Losi 454. I don't like pull start systems!

Do you have a link showing the mid tank mod.? I will have to check into those FLM TVP's, I have seen Savages with them, wouldn't mind getting some.

Thats what it was. I knew one of them crossed over. Check out my build thread I'm posting all the details right now.

Just clean and Armoral the tires and you're ready to display it. :D

I guess that is what I will be doing this weekend. Last night I installed my servos, receiver, slipper clutch, spur gear and throttle linkage but when I went to install my brakes I found out that I ordered the wrong parts.

I got this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400683402823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

instead of this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141308975381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It doesn't fit, the stainless discs wont fit on the hub so I had to reorder. But other than no brakes, she is ready to run, my body is sitting at the post office right now ready to be picked up, just need to get off of work and go get it. I geuss I wont be running this one this weekend.

I thought either one would fit, but the second would be an upgrade.
I just checked, and the second link you posted is what I have in mine.

TrnsFin.jpg

Last edited:
I thought either one would fit, but the second would be an upgrade.
I just checked, and the second link you posted is what I have in mine.

TrnsFin.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought too but the stainless discs has a lot smaller hole, so now I am brakeless until I get the other. Thinking about heading to Spokane tomorrow, their are some big hobby stores there that will probably have it.

Yeah that's what I thought too but the stainless discs has a lot smaller hole, so now I am brakeless until I get the other. Thinking about heading to Spokane tomorrow, their are some big hobby stores there that will probably have it.

on that note i had the exact same issue bought a new spur gear set that included fiberglass disks and there too big,

nice work on your build BTW

Rolex i want that rig of yours the things i would be willing to do for it scare me lol

Back