@%#$&!* Bumper mount screws!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massivex

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am fed up with the bumper mount screws. The holes are very tight and the screws are very soft. 9 times in 10 I strip the screw head before I get the screw properly set. And taking them back out, 3 times in 10, requires cracking the head compleatly off and backing the shaft out with a pair of pliers.

Either I'm a retard (10%) or this was a poorly designed item (90%). Is there an alternative to the cheep screw system. Seems to me that some kind of scure system like on a bike tire quick release would be much more practical.

Seems to me I can take the rest of my truck apart in th same time it takes me too get out one set of bumper screws. Any fixes?

I guess it depends on what screws your talking about. The actual screws that go through the bumper and into the bumper bracket, or the screws that go through the bumper bracket into the side if the bulkhead.

Actually, either way, try getting a set of RC-Solutions spring steel skids. I have those and I don't run bumpers at all. It allows you to get a good tight fit on your bulkheads to the bulkhead braces as well, since your not screwing through really soft plastic bumper brackets.

The skids are only $20 a piece (1 front and 1 rear = $40). I've had one set for about 6 months and have had 0 problems.

RC Solutions Front Skid
RC Solutiosn Rear Skid

If you are still using the stock phillips head screws, you should upgrade to hex allen head screws.

I'm with robmob, hex heads are the best and use lots of blue locktite.

Well, first off, I was talking about the screw that goes through the bulkhead and brace. Then when you said you don't run with bumpers at all I was pretty blown away because I had that exact thought this morning (as I wrestled to get the bumpers off) but I thought the risk would be too great. So now I don't know. Anybody else here run with no bumpers

Second is what do you do about the original screws being too long now that the bumper mount is gone? Cut the ends off?

Third, do the hex heads have that tight, tight thread that makes you have to twist the things in forever? (like the thread on the stock screw) and can you shorten them (or get short versions if you want to run the bumpers off way?

Are they stronger than those wuss hex heads that come with the RPM Body mounts? Because those little suckers strip pretty easy too.

Thanks

I don't run bumpers because of the rc solutions skids. However, I have mounted a grommet behind the front and rear skid to help with hard impacts. I've hit a concrete wall at near WOT without broken parts.

Yes, all hex heads I've seen are fine threaded.

Yes, you do have to either buy shorter bolts or cut about 3mm off with a dremel.

Here's a shot of the front of my truck:
051804-21Maxx-frontlow.JPG

I use a GH Bulkhead Brace.

prodImg836.jpg

It has a nice hole in the center to run a bolt through for the grommet. The grommet is just a run of the mill piece that I bought at a hardware store. I ran a 3mm bolt through the center of it to keep it in place.

I feel your pain!!! I even tried hardened screws but I ended up bending and once I actually snapped one ( I know I am a bad driver). Anyways I got some HCR Ti skids and ran without bumbers after that with no problems. The HCR skids are a plus because the act as bumpers as well as skid plates. Then you can ditch the extra weight and the headache it is giving you.

I would only run without bumpers if I had a skid plate or some other type of front end protection. Too much plastic on the front end of a stock t maxx to take a chance like that. olds97_lss has the right idea with his GA al brace and good black oxide hex screws. If you are going to run it without bumpers you had better replace the stock plastic bulkheads with aluminum unless you already have. By removing the bumpers in any event you will loose a good deal of protection from those glancing blows that will happen and leave your arms open to take on all of the punishment. I have moved on to another type of chassis like this one that does not require bumpers.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/data/510/100410041004Dscf0027-med.jpg

One of the site sponsors, RC Solutions probably has what you are looking for. Ask scottm about this part. He will surely help you out.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/data/500/1038web-8.JPG
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13539

I had that problem too but after breaking 5 screws I to some sand paper and rubbed the threads down a bit and it helped just dont sand to much.

I don't like the idea of hardened screws in bumpers or A arms. I've seen the hardened screws snap off inside. NOW you have a real problem. I just helped a guy today take some out that were S shaped. Tough to get out, but not snapped off inside.

That GH bulkhead brace is nice. Are you running Al bulks? The hex heads will more than likely happen

I am definately going to pick up that skid. It's a reasonable price and if it actually saves damage like posts claim, then it will pay for its self.

You guys are awesome with the pics and links!!!
Thanks!

you should just order the coarse thread screws instead of the fine thread ones. they are a cinch to put in.

Back