New kit help and advice (n00b)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedimindtrick.

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone!
Need some help with purchasing my first kit..
[history - unnecessary to read ]

my first RC was a RTR HPI RS4 evo3 (1/10 onroad) and my second was a GV XT2 RTR (1/8 off road) since I bought the off road I had gone away from the hobby and now I have recently rejoined and want to get something new and more capable, I was tossing up between a 1/8 truggy or a hpi baja but i think I will go with the truggy for now and I might get a baja further down the road.

I have pretty much made a decision on the Losi 8ight-T 3.0, I know it's pricey for a non serious racer but I'd want something that was capable if I did end up on the track.
I was originally looking at the HB D8T for both the price and good reviews but there's something about the body that turns me off(the front end)..even the aftermarket ones don't add much to the aesthetics of this truggy, which is a shame..

I have an Airtronics MT-4S radio and have been looking at Savox servos (still haven't made a definitive decision on which though) 1258TG,1256TG,1231SG etc...1233SG looks the business, but being a tall servo would it be suitable for the 8T?

I haven't even started on the engine.

So i guess I'm looking for a little guidance, opinions, options, tips etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..seems all so overwhelming especially when you're someone who tends to read too much into everything..

Also, is there anything I need when building kits that wont come with it? like any tools(apart from the obvious hex drivers), greases, oils etc?

Thanks a lot

p.s my apologies if i posted in the wrong place.

I like Losi and have nothing against the new 8ight T 3.0

But is it worth almost double the cost of the D8T? For me as a basher, Id have to say no. After running a fairly new HPI 4.6 Trophy Truggy, I went ahead and ordered a new D8T kit that just showed up a couple days ago. A couple of items coming via donkey from A-Main this next week sometime, and I'll be elbows deep into my build.

HB is coming out with the Tessman Edition D8T in the near future with lots of extra's trick aluminum and CF parts on it, but will be coming with a rumored extra $200+ price tag as well. If I was racing and needed all the latest and greatest then maybe the Tessman or 8ight-T 3.0 would be the way to go...maybe. But for me, I've read way too many forum threads about the D8T and just how tough it is for bashing.

Yeah the nose of the body looks a little funky. I have mine already painted up and its not that bad. And even though the Proline 2012 Bulldog shows up as the only replacement, I'm guessing that most any body can be trimmed to fit without too much effort.

I can't really comment on the radio or on the Savox servo's as I have no hands on with either.

For now, as my RC budget is blown up for this year, I'm going to stay with my HPI 4.6 engine. It will get replaced at some point, but as of right now, it works fine for me. Until I decide on something new with some extra grunt to replace it with.

As far as tools, I can't be certain what the Losi would come with. But for the D8T, just look into the owners manual online it will show a list of needed tools. Pretty much the basic metric RC set. But one particular set that I invested in was the MIP Thorp hex drivers. 1/1.5/2mm are so handy and work sooooo much better than anything I've ever had in the past. At 1 time I managed 2 different hardware stores and had available the best hardware store variety hex drivers to me...and they were all junk in comparison to the MIP drivers.

Last edited:
you got a point..i will think about it..but it's hard when you have pretty much made a decision to turn around and get something else..

sorry to sound all negative but I cannot stand tessman..I would never buy anything with that name on it..lol

I just bought a bunch of EDS drivers (metric)..so I might buy some MIP imperial just to mix it up, heard nothing but good things about MIP drivers, wish they made nut drivers too

thanks for the reply, much appreciated.