finally got a Revo! Well, sort of...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minmax89

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Alright lads!

Last month I dragged my T-Maxx out to sell it cos I hadn't used it in a year. Well, two minutes bashing and I fell for it again. However, five minutes in I stuffed it into a concrete block, broke top and bottom arms, front diff mount, etc.

Anyway, within an hour I'm looking at a few Revo rollers on ebay. With it's far superior set up to the maxx I always wanted one. So, I'm now the proud owner of...well, a revo roller and an off the road T-maxx.

I want to build a revo out of the T-maxx by simply :celebrate: swapping everything over. I have a Picco .26 Red Dot in the maxx, CV centre shafts, resonator pipe a motor saver filter. I've already begain to realise it's not a simple as I thought. So far, I think I need the following:

engine mount for the picco.
traxxas BB mount or the ofna one??

a pipe for the picco
I love the idea of a rear pipe but everyone seems to recommend the dynamite 053 however, what about their rear pipe?
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYNP5015

servo(s) ??
seems I can't use the one from the maxx right? does this Revo need two?

a body shell
probably go find a standard revo but what about the proline one? Any good?

the revo is pretty filthy so I'm gonna enjoy giving it a thorough strip down and deep clean Can y'all have a good look at it and see what exactly I'm missing and what I can use off the maxx?

I could go on but for now, here are the pics...

C4956DBA-B770-4D3B-9336-1708D94731A2.jpg

0D943EFF-DCB6-4FDA-BB98-38001560E863.jpg

A55CED41-B78B-47F1-A0AC-B7F5F8C3EA86.jpg

5D79810D-5948-44D9-BE0A-BFAD901C5193.jpg

C388856C-5D4B-4734-B21A-E32324E19C9A.jpg

A1E5DC53-77B9-4C0A-BF80-4FD6297DF22E.jpg

3E2B6F5E-CCE4-4176-90A7-9D0B05325549.jpg

4F8F4ACB-57A5-418C-A825-055A8D69C491.jpg

BE6926C9-1B2C-46D3-902B-E78889835E34.jpg

D489A872-E3D9-4AA8-8F66-DA51F2222664.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help :D:D

you could get away with one 2070/2075 servo but it will be sluggish for a cheap upgrade look at a savox sc 0251 at around 40 dollars it will do the job ,I have one in a revo I just built and its great.
use the ofna mount its cheaper than the trx kit and the newer ofna mount is cnc'd aluminium vs the older one which is cast.
I would go a rear mount exhaust ,looks better butif you have a side mount it will work fine ,I take it you already have a bb exhaust adaptor if not I would look into that.
overall your truck doesn't look too bad a good clean is first on your list I would suggest after that hit up some chop shops on the bay I would get a new tank as you have the older small one they can be had for under 10 bucks with new lines and it also looks like you need a body mount other than that I think you would be good to go.

---------- Post added at 6:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:14 AM ----------

also I would look at ditching reverse , it will last a little bit with a picco but in the end it will break

---------- Post added at 6:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:15 AM ----------

haha and it also has the long travel rockers I would swap them out to p2 rockers unless you are looking for extra suspension travel

You will also need the boots that go over the ball ends on the axle carrier.

you could get away with one 2070/2075 servo but it will be sluggish for a cheap upgrade look at a savox sc 0251 at around 40 dollars it will do the job ,I have one in a revo I just built and its great.
use the ofna mount its cheaper than the trx kit and the newer ofna mount is cnc'd aluminium vs the older one which is cast.
I would go a rear mount exhaust ,looks better butif you have a side mount it will work fine ,I take it you already have a bb exhaust adaptor if not I would look into that.
overall your truck doesn't look too bad a good clean is first on your list I would suggest after that hit up some chop shops on the bay I would get a new tank as you have the older small one they can be had for under 10 bucks with new lines and it also looks like you need a body mount other than that I think you would be good to go.
haha and it also has the long travel rockers I would swap them out to p2 rockers unless you are looking for extra suspension travelYou will also need the boots that go over the ball ends on the axle carrier.

Thanks a million for all that!

Servo - just had a quick search and many seem to be looking to do a single servo conversion. Any idea why? kinda thought two servo's would be better than one?? that single savox one is a good price. will it fit as it is apparently slightly bigger than a "standard" servo??
Can i use the throttle and gear servos off my maxx then?

Mount - glad to hear the often critisized ofna mount has been improved so no probs using it. But lack of adjustment limits my gearing though right? With the Picco I did want to change the clutch bell and spur for better gearing.

Exhaust - right, the dynamite 053 (for example) is a 'big block' pipe yeah? and the outlet on my picco, even though its a mid block, is actually a small block. so i need an adapter to fit a BB header - if i want to use a bb pipe??

rockers - are the long travel ones not good then? where do I find the P2 ones and why would I need them?

body mounts - Na, they're all good and present.

Loving the lessons by the way!!!!

Doing a single servo conversion is often done to save weight and because one servo uses less power in theory , I have used the 0251 on both revo and maxx and for a budget servo it's great usually what I do is move a steering servo to the throttle as the 2075 is better than the 2056 in both speed and torque.
The ofna mount is good I haven't had a problem, the most popular spur /cb is 17/36 and that will still pull the wheels off the ground.
I have found for best results a bb pipe is the way to go but you will need an adaptor.
The long travel rockers are only any good on rough surfaces the p2 rockers an be had from either your lhs or a chop shop on ebay .best spring and oil combo is green front gold rear with 45wt all round.

Thanks man!

Do you think I'll be able to use the existing radio gear that is in my T-maxx. It has three servos (steering, throttle/brake, reverse switch). If I get new servo's and just use the transmitter and receiver.

I found this on ebay:
standard twin servo

But I presume I can't then use a receiver that normally controls one steering servo?

Or should I just start from scratch and source the more modern traxxas set up of receiver and transmitter? Don't really have the budget but...

Adam

The radio is interchangeable but if would recommend going for the newer 2.4ghz , a new 5ch receiver and transmitter with the ipod dock can be had for about 70 dollars
if you want to run twin servos , which will.still do the job fine you will need to grab a Y harness so you can run the 2 servos on a receiver with only ch1 port of course the newer 2.4 comes with 2 ch1 ports so you don't need the y harness

Ah gotcha. Yes, I was wondering if such a thing as a Y harness existed.

I'm gonna go look at a new transmitter and receiver. Thanks a million for all your help, you've been very kind!

Oh, and I've decided on the following:

THS Rear BB pipe
Ofna Mount for the Picco
BB adapter (from a member on here, hopefully!)

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

how about this then?

transmitter and receiver

that's the same transmitter setup I use and its top notch ,maybe have a look around for a seller called 'jrc' that where I buy most of my gear from and they ship worldwide and the prices are better than most.
that pipe setup is the most commonly used and work well in a rear mount setup ,you may have to fiddle around with how everything sits because when you run the bb adaptor it tends to push the exhaust out a touch which will make it hit the body mount but you can usually bend the manifold slightly and it will fit sweet.
those adaptors are/were made by a member @Racer 1966 is a top guy and has always helped me out I the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back