Glow Plug Nightmares

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beltoni

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Glow Plug Nightmares

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I have been breaking in my new .18vx engine on my Atomic warhead nitro and decided to get a spare plug. I bought an OS #8 which is a hot plug recomended for general use? Well the problem is only the bottom part of the coil lights up orange in the new os #8 plug! Is this normal because I thought all plugs coils were suposed to light up the whole coil white? The entire HSP plugs coil glows albeit only orange not white. The Hsp Plug works though. I actually did manage to get the OS plug to fire up engine but only after running engine for half a tank of gas with hsp plug first. So engine was already nice and hot when put in the new plug. I searched the web and found that most sites said all the coil should glow on all plugs with out exception while there was one site that claimed that the whole coil must glow in all plugs except the OS#8 Plugs? Which is true?? I tried to return the plug to the shop I purchased it from but they wouldn't take it back. They said OS Plugs are never faulty blah blah blah and that I must be doing somthing wrong. Do I need to get a more powerfull charger for my 1.2 Volt starter? Do I need to charge it longer? ??? Do different plugs require different voltages? I have many questions and none answered. The people at the shop I bought it from said they didn't know if it should light the coil half way or the whole way?. Pretty lame shop. They basicaly said it was non returnable without any good explanation. only saying that it is like a light bulb and expendible. Well $13.30 may be expendible for them but it isn't for me. What is the truth about the #8 OS glow Plugs????

Is this Shop taking the piss?

Thanks for any enlightenment. Beltoni

You posted this question twice. You got an answer on the other one.

also be aware that a plug change will also require a retune for the diff. plug.

I've had plugs that won't light up beyond one or two coils, and even one that lasted a good 5 or 6 gallons, and two years (including being "stored" 4 times). The engines still ran fine on them.

Give it a shot, it might surprise you.

Now, as for not being able to return them; once the package is open, you're stuck with it. I worked in a local hobby shop. The reason is, they're considered a disposable item, like fuel. I know it sucks, but it's just a fact of nitro.

So a retailer is not legally bound to do anything about a returned plug!. Its up to them if they do something?. is this correct??. I would have to return to manufacturer? are they legally obligated to replace a faulty plug. Are nitro glow plugs not included in the consumer garantees Act.??:surrender

Have you tried the glowplug yet?

I have the same plug, and it only lights up to about the 3rd coil.

Did you pay 13.00 bucks for a glow plug? WOW! My McCoy 59"s just light up at the first two, and works fine.

Back