Tmaxx problem: jerky start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kr0niK

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm about half way through the breakin on a new engine. Purchased this pretty much as a roller. Anyway, I'm starting to do about 1/4 throttle runs and when feathering the throttle up it engages but it is very jerky off the start. Once it fully engages it is fine until I stop and start again.

A quick search found that there has been issues with this on the tmaxx but it didn't explain in much detail.

What causes this, can it be fixed and what other options do I have? (foc?)

If you put the Forward only kit in the jerkyness will go away..It has something to do with the reverse clutch thingy (so I've heard)

phx is correct. The jerkyness is due to the reverse clutches inside the tranny. If you do the forward only conversion this will go away. It will get a little better though once you have run it a while, but as long as you have reverse it will never go away.

I had a feeling it would help. I actually took the transmission apart just because the spur gear spun freely both ways. It wasn't like this on my other truck (forward only) so I checked it out. It seemed like there was a "secondary clutch" system inside on the reverse and forward gears. If these were loosened or tightened would it engage better? Or am I grasping at straws.

A link to a foc kit for the tmaxx would be great to.

Back