Tmaxx engine confusion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, now I know they have a Tmaxx first gen, and a Tmaxx second generation.

What's with the motors on these things. 2.5 .15 I hear they are the same?

Can somone set me straight What mtor comes with which Tmaxx, and what REAL size are they.

I have a .18 XTM in my accelerator, so that's thhe only way I know to compare power/size.

Can somone give me the .XX of each? Also the Savage 25 what's that?

This is really buggen me, it's like AMD 2200 they are named 2200 but aren't 2200Mhz. AMD 2200 means it supposed to be as fast as an Intel 2200Mhz computer.. Grrph.

Am I right in assuming
All Tmaxx's have a .15 .

The savage being named 25 also has a .15 engine?

And therefore I have a .18 in my Stadium truck, I actually have a bigger engine than maxx's and savages?

If so I think I might be let down when buying a monster truck I can;t see how a .15 in a 12 lb MT iseven going to compare to a .18in a 3 lb stadium truck.

Me be confooosed :confused: And the people who named these things are :loser: 's

lol....2.5 and .15 are the same, they're just different forms of measurement for displacement.

the savage 25 has a .25 size engine.

So both the old version and the new versions of the maxx have the same engine? And it' s a .15, smaller than the .18 in my XTM?

I invite everyone to dowload this freely distributed zipped executable called "convert".

Distance, volume, power, area, speed, temp and more. Wonder no more that 2.5 cubic centimeters equals 0.15 cubic inches.

http://www.wdavidhicks.com/rcnitro/convert.zip

Originally posted by lykan
So both the old version and the new versions of the maxx have the same engine? And it' s a .15, smaller than the .18 in my XTM?

The old maxx had a different engine than the current T-maxx...but both the new and old engine had the same displacement

OK, let's start at the beginning.
1st generation Maxx had the TRX .15 Pro. It's a .15 size engine. It was a dog. Way underpowered and built to be that way. However, a good porting and it really woke up. I still have mine and it is quick after you work the case and sleeve.
2nd generation Maxx has the TRX 2.5. It's an all new design, but it's still a .15 size engine. .15 cu in is the same as 2.5cc. So they are the same displacement, but different performance.
A Sirio .18 is bigger than both. .18 cu in is equal to 3.0cc. So theoretically it's bigger. But that TRX 2.5 is very powerful so it's a close race.
The Savage does have a .25 cu in engine in it so it's a lot bigger than the engine in the Maxx...

I never knew that. I thought the 2.5 was faster. I had a stempede and i had the .15 in it then i did the coverson with the 2.5 and that thing was alot faster.

Originally posted by wdavidhicks
I invite everyone to dowload this freely distributed zipped executable called "convert".

Distance, volume, power, area, speed, temp and more. Wonder no more that 2.5 cubic centimeters equals 0.15 cubic inches.

http://www.wdavidhicks.com/rcnitro/convert.zip

Nice utility! Handles the current question and a lot more.

Originally posted by lillightingboy21
I never knew that. I thought the 2.5 was faster. I had a stempede and i had the .15 in it then i did the coverson with the 2.5 and that thing was alot faster.

The 2.5 is faster. Just because they're the same displacement doesn't mean they perform the same. The 2.5 is a much more powerful engine than the standard TRX .15. It is a much better design. More efficient. The Original TRX .15 had some port issues which appeared to be designed to limit the engine's capability. So in the end it was a slow engine. The 2.5 was designed to be a brute powerhouse from the beginning and they did a much better job on that one..

Originally posted by Candyman
OK, let's start at the beginning.
1st generation Maxx had the TRX .15 Pro. It's a .15 size engine. It was a dog. Way underpowered and built to be that way. However, a good porting and it really woke up. I still have mine and it is quick after you work the case and sleeve.
2nd generation Maxx has the TRX 2.5. It's an all new design, but it's still a .15 size engine. .15 cu in is the same as 2.5cc. So they are the same displacement, but different performance.
A Sirio .18 is bigger than both. .18 cu in is equal to 3.0cc. So theoretically it's bigger. But that TRX 2.5 is very powerful so it's a close race.
The Savage does have a .25 cu in engine in it so it's a lot bigger than the engine in the Maxx...

Great info from Candayman and others but their's still room for ALLOT of elaboration here. I agree with everything Candayman said except the "close race" remark between the Sirio .18 and the Trx 2.5. It's not close @ all, the Sirio .18 spanks the ass off the Trx 2.5 and especially on the top end where it screams like a banshee (FYI Sirio seems to put allot of emphasis on top end speed and power). In the intrest of fairness, the Trx .15 Pro that came in the "Original" T-maxx is a good and relaible engine, in comparison the Trx 2.5 can be a VERY unreliable engine and a tuning nightmare but it's much faster then the Trx .15pro and with the same displacment it's what I'd consider a factory tuned and mod'd engine. The Trx .15 will hold a tune well, the Trx 2.5 (.15 displacment 2.5cc) wont IME and that of many. With proper modification allot more power can be derived from the Trx .15 pro (any nitro engine will benifit in power from proper mod'd but like a real engine it's often give and take and you may be taking away reliability...it's also nice to have a great and proven carb).

"The 2.5 is faster. Just because they're the same displacement doesn't mean they perform the same. The 2.5 is a much more powerful engine than the standard TRX .15. It is a much better design. More efficient. The Original TRX .15 had some port issues which appeared to be designed to limit the engine's capability. So in the end it was a slow engine. The 2.5 was designed to be a brute powerhouse from the beginning and they did a much better job on that one"..

Yes, the 2.5 has the same .15 displacement but in comparison it has much more agressive porting overall that makes the engine faster. Yes the new Trx 2.5 is more power efficient but again it's much less reliable and able to hold a tune compared to the Trx .15 as I said above. It's all give and take but the Sirio .18 is both more powerfull then the Trx 2.5 and much more reliable overalll. Yes, it might be unfair to compared a .15 engine to a .18 but IMHO TraxxASS should have designed a reliable and powerfull .18 for the "new" T-maxx to begin with.