Got a HPI Baja 5b!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Traded off all my Savage stuff today (except the Flux of course) to get a 5b finally! Just gotta stick my radio in it and it's ready to go. The previous owner ran it for me and everything before we made the trade, the only problem is the pull start doesn't recoil right.

Couple questions.

Recoil: Easy fix? Replace it?

Need some rear dirt tires, he has slicks on it. Best option, best place to buy?

Anyway, here's the pics!

IMG_2473_zps2498bcb6.jpg

IMG_2474_zps87e41684.jpg

Very nice and congrats on the purchase. My suggestions would be to open up that differential and top it off or do a change based on what you see when you open it up. Stock fluid is 1000 wt. Two must have upgrades would be an outerwears pull start cover which is worth its weight in gold and to get an outerwears or TGN outer air filter. These two have done me very well and I've got 5 gallons on mine and it's stock besides the two upgrades. I'm not familiar on repairing the pull start but I can tell you it's from just yanking on the pull start instead of pulling it to the point of it engaging and then pulling it.

+1. It shouldn't be too hard to repair the pull-start. The Outerware Pre-filters are a must. I run in extremely dusty conditions and they work like a charm. I'd also add a Killer-Bee kill switch as well. These things can do a lot of damage if you get a runaway.

Here's the Super-Bee Kill Switch (Fail safe): http://www.davesmotors.com/tr210.html

These are the rear tires I use off road: http://www.davesmotors.com/hpi-4835-dirt-buster-hd-compound-block-rear-tire-set.html

These are the front tires: http://www.davesmotors.com/hpi-4831-dirt-buster-rib-front-tire-set.html

Last edited:
Found a couple sets of used tires on the large scale forum, those will work for now. Killer-Bee switch is on the list, as well as the filters. Need to part with some other RC stuff first though to get some money.

Congrats man! I would replace the pull start cord with the steel cable version from killer RC. For off road, depending on your terrain the nightmare MX tires are fantastic, and last a good long time. RPM bumpers and a some shock limit straps will also save you money down the road.

Congrats man! I would replace the pull start cord with the steel cable version from killer RC. For off road, depending on your terrain the nightmare MX tires are fantastic, and last a good long time. RPM bumpers and a some shock limit straps will also save you money down the road.

Actually already has the limit straps! He has some minor upgrades on it already, but I really need to get it cleaned up to see what I'm working with.

I dig the paint job, Great Milenko and Ringmaster, pretty sweet! Back when ICP didnt totally suck!

Congrats on the new rig!

I dig the paint job, Great Milenko and Ringmaster, pretty sweet! Back when ICP didnt totally suck!

Congrats on the new rig!

Yea, the stickers are probably coming off.....

Ordered a new pullstart from DDM, and a set of tires on eBay today. I think this week I might bring the 5b to work and give it a good cleaning. Looks like this guy was happy to run it and park it, needs a good bath.

Next purchase (already in the wish list) will be the air filter pre-filter, the pull start pre-filter, and the kill switch.

Last edited:
If it was me I'd rank the kill switch from @Killer RC first, then the filters and pre-filters. ;)

Last edited:
Finally got to run it yesterday! Also ordered the kill switch and filters last night. Needs a bit of adjustment, brakes are a little loose, and I think the clutch might need replacement.

Installed the Killer RC Super Bee kill switch today, as well as the air pre-filter, and the pull start pre-filter. Also made some other minor adjustments and made note of a couple things I need to replace.

Ran it after all that and the adjustments made a huge difference, this thing is going to be alot of fun!

Next step is to make a mount for the Contour +2 camera. My intention was to mount it in the "cockpit" area of the roll cage, but the air filter is entirely too large. So, either I'm going to customize the cage, or make a mounting plate to fit the right side window to hold the camera.

Showing off for some co-workers last weekend, burnt off a set of tires faster than ever before. So I found a good deal on a set of four used dirt busters, and a good deal on a pair of tarmac busters. Today I bought a new (to me anyway) exhaust pipe, $70 for a $150 pipe!

Good investment, but it's costing me some money.