Great First 1:5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So heres the back story. I brought my pops to the freshly renovated house, showed him around (not my idea but I do as I'm asked), anyway the room he gravitates to is my hobby room, and after looking though my platic walmart shelf of R/Cs, he say to me "do they come any bigger? I want one, but bigger than any of these". So after some considerable thought I think I will look into a 1:5 for him.

To think I was hoping to have my own 1:5 this year, maybe over the winter....sigh,.....ahem back to my inquiry.

If it helps: Yes I do believe hes capable of running a grass whip, and has owned a power saw a time or two in his lifetime.:D

I have a Baja 5b and love it. It's relatively sturdy out of the box. Another good one is the Losi 5ive. The main difference between the Baja and the 5ive is that the 5ive is 4wd.

So Baja 5B is the buggy oviously, and it looks bad, real bad! I like it, but whats the deciding difference between the Baja 5T, and the Baja 5sc?

I found a few on kijiji, and was able to wittle the sellers down to the half price area, but I also found an add where the guy has a pair, a 5T, and 5B. Alas he wants trade. What do yoy guys think I could get in trade for a slighty used sony bravia 46" L.E.D T.V.

Also found a Losi 5sc, but its a little more than I'm willing to part with at the moment,

I bought my 5b from another member here. It was the original RTR version and cost me about $600.

The main difference in the three models of Baja is:

The 5b is the buggy as you pointed out.
The 5t is a more truck looking version.
The 5SC is the short course version.

The 5t and the 5SC come with the slightly larger 26cc engine (the 5b comes with the smaller 23cc).

So what are some musts when becoming a 1:5 owner, I'd hate to bring it/them home, and need somethig 300 miles away.

Last edited:
I only needed a 1 gal. gas can and some 2-cycle when I started.

1:5 is definitely a ton of fun. If you buy used ask if it comes with a kill switch. These are usually run off the radio and in the event of radio signal loss, it kills the engine. Pretty much a must have since at full speed a baja can injure someone.

Alright good to know thanks, I'll hit up killer r/c now.

Now here's a small problem, I found a 5b for around 1/2 price, but I've also found a losi dbxl for 2/3 the new price.

Oh, before I forget I found the old man a sweet red/white baja 5b, just gotta see if he/the owner wants to trade for something in particular.

Q's: how distinguishable is an HPI baja 5b from a Rovan 5b?

Since I only ever read one mod state that he never had a problem with his Rovan. It's just that I'd rather have the old man have a HPI, even though they seem to have interchangeable parts...

^^this has me confused are Rovans knock offs?

Last edited:
Yes, Rovans are a knock off and usually have parts that aren't quite as durable as their HPI counterparts. Their build quality control isn't as good as HPI, either. Most of the problems with assembly from the factory can be fixed with a good tear-down and inspection before you run the first time. Take extra care to look at the clutch and diff assembly as they tend to crack easily on the King Motors/Rovan.

Back