help with springs...i know i ask a lot of questions...sorry

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugs2300

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i recently relocated all my electronics....i put the esc on the rear axle and the rx on the top link...over all i like this set up but i have a problem with it...since it has taken some of the weight off the top of the chassis it makes the ass end tippy when i go over a ledge after comparing with a completely stock MRC i found that there just isnt enough weight on the shock to let it compress the spring....so instead of flexing it just turn itself over...sooo....i did a little test and removed all the springs and it did much better...but having no springs at all produced a few bad results too...at times the axle would follow the contour of the rock and keep a good bite on it....so here finally is my question....i need some really soft springs for these mrc shocks...i want them to be just soft enough to barley hold it up....but i have absolutely no idea which springs are soft and which are not as compared to the stock springs....i appreciate the help guys....thanks a bunch...

ok guys...decided to give the losi mini t pink springs a try...hopefully they work out ok...any suggestions are still welcome...

I think your putting way too much hope into flex. Its not always going to flex the full amount. Going to as soft of spring as possible will prolly help your flex but not your handling. You just need to do alot more driving in my opinion.

i understand its not always goin to flex how i want it...but its tipping over where a bone stock rtr isn't...and thats just not right...lol...
goin over a small drop with the front left tire my mrc is bringing the rear tire off the ground to the point of tipping over...the stock one just flexed and went on...I'm still waiting on a few parts and I'm gonna start trying to tune it a little better and see if i can work it out...my big problem atm is my steering situation...I'm still waiting on a different servo arm and some threaded rod so i can make some linkage hopefully i can get this setup too...all i did was add an rc bros mount and a full size servo and now it won't hardly steer to the left....steers great to the right though...i have repositioned the arm 10 times but thats not the problem...the changes i made moved the position of the servo arm forward and up and the stock linkage just isn't workin out...

i understand its not always goin to flex how i want it...but its tipping over where a bone stock rtr isn't...and thats just not right...lol...
goin over a small drop with the front left tire my mrc is bringing the rear tire off the ground to the point of tipping over...the stock one just flexed and went on...I'm still waiting on a few parts and I'm gonna start trying to tune it a little better and see if i can work it out...my big problem atm is my steering situation...I'm still waiting on a different servo arm and some threaded rod so i can make some linkage hopefully i can get this setup too...all i did was add an rc bros mount and a full size servo and now it won't hardly steer to the left....steers great to the right though...i have repositioned the arm 10 times but thats not the problem...the changes i made moved the position of the servo arm forward and up and the stock linkage just isn't workin out...

I think Slowngreen is right as well, depending on where the majority of your weight in the rig is and how high up pash the axles plays a huge part as well. You may be tipping forward with too much weight in the front and no weight in the rear. If you get softer springs your going to have problems sinking your tires into rocks and getting bound up. Check your shocks one by one, and make sure that they properly flex and return to "neutral". If all checks out what I have posted I would try running a thinner oil weight in your rig and that should help drastically, especially if your running in cold conditions the thicker oil is harder to use.

well i got my steering lined out yesterday...changed the servo arm and made a linkage and it works perfectly now...so back to the suspension problems...

hpikiller i think the weight distribution is my whole problem...well most of it anyhow...i am gonna play with it and see if i can relocate some stuff...hopefully i can make it more fitting to my driving...as far as the shock oil i have my losi threaded alum shocks filled with 40 wt oil...as thats all i had...i may try some lighter oil but I'm gonna wait till i get my new springs and see if i can make it right for me...i got a few parts coming so I'm gonna leave it be till i get them...I'm gonna move some things and outboard my shocks at the axle and maybe move the top of the shocks over to the chassis...i havent really played with moving the shock mounts much so i want to see what i can do there...suggestions on shock mounting locations are welcome...lol...thanks..

The more you adjust your shocks inward towards each other will help your CoG when climping past a 60* angle. Lol I its tuff moving things around on a crawler with not alot of places to put things, if your not running Lipos I would look into them, they are a LOT lighter than whatever those MRCs run I'm sure. You need to get a build thread going, take and post lots of pics, and there you can post your questions concerning anything the rig needs, thats what I do when I do a new crawler or scaler build.

well ill try the build thread thing...i have done a lot and haven't took pictures through the process...but i think i can get something together...

as far as the shocks i thought the idea was to move them to the outside...i know i see everyone out boarding their shocks at the axle and moving the top mounts out to the chassis...which way do i need to go....should i go out on the bottom and in on the top??

Want you really want to focus on is getting all of your weight as low and forward as possible, also one thing to remember is there is such a thing as to much flex. If your rig has to much flex you will end up dropping wheels into holes instread of being able to float a wheel over them, as for your shocks do you have them mounted with the shock body on top or on the bottom? mounting them inverted with the shock body on the bottom will help lower your COG, I would start with moving your shocks out at the axle first and see what that does then at the chassis to, make little changes at a time to see what they do, if you change a bunch of things all at once you won't really know what is helping the most, also if the make under drive or over drive gears for your axles try the under drive gears in the rear axle first that helps a lot as well, just some ideas for you.

Back