I've narrowed my choices: Savage 25 RTR or Nitro MT2 RTR? Please help me decide?!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Costanza

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, so after reading and watching vid's on the web, I think the two choices that will provide me with the highest fun quotient will be either the Savage 25 RTR or the Nitro MT2 RTR.

Obviously the Savage will go anywhere and appears to be pretty quick, however, I kind of like the lower profile and ( possibly ) better high speed handling of the MT2. Again this is based on what I've seen on the web and read in forums. My objective is to bash against a friends RC10GT for now on all surfaces and try to have as much fun as possible. Racing isn't an issue right now and they both seem to have a fairly decent reputation for reliability and durability, within reason of course, ( I'm sure there are plenty of people who have broken one or both of them, but you can break anything if you push it hared enough. )

Any thoughts on which I should get. The decision rests in your hands fellow RCNT'ers. Thanks for your input!! The key factors are speed and fun. What do you think???

George Costanza

For speed they are probably pretty similar, the savage may be alittle faster but believe me the savage is twice as fun as a stadium struck. My friend has a ST and I have a savage and the savage is as durable as a tank and the HPI NMT has broken much more. Yes, the savage can't handle as well as an ST but the fun factor is double IMO. Savage is my vote.

I agree with AC48. I had a losi xxx-nt which is pretty comparable to the RC10. Then I bought a maxx, then I put enough money into the maxx to buy 4 more... then I bought a savage. Very happy with the savage. And your right, it can go almost anywhere. The top speed is about the same, but like AC48 said, it's handling is a little lacking. Throw on some better shocks(or at least stiffer springs), the MP servo saver upgrade and a higher torque steering servo and you will have some fun.

The stadium truck design is light. It's built to be quick and agile. For a basher, that's fun until the first hard wreck, then not so fun. After you pick up all the pieces and put it back together, you would wish you had bought something that can take a hefty tumble and ask for more.

well i own an original nitro mt, and while it is a fun truck i would recommend the savage. no it doesn't handle as well since its so top heavy, but it will take abuse like no other. and it is faster. a stock savage vs. my mt with a .12 cv-r in it. i got taken off the line and just as it looked like i might catch up, the savage hit 2nd gear and pulled away.

my vote would be for what your looking at doing, just becuase it will last longer than a ST for bashing and if you ever want to i think you can race savages pretty much stock (not sure but thats what i would imagine)

looks like we'll soon have another happy savage owner! haha thats the next r/c on my list. if i dont get a 1/8th buggy but thats a purchase in the far future as for right now my GT is more fun than i can handle!

i myself own a ST.. i would love to own a .25 savage. I've seen the savage in full on balls to the wall bashing. those things look bullet proof.

Go with the savage you will not regret it. The savage is by far my favorite truck to bash with I dont even worry about it breaking anymore. I usually use my stadium trucks for the street or jumping ramps in parking lots and stuff like that, I really dont have as much fun off-roading with them as I do with my MT's and buggy.

Last edited:
My vote would be for the savage. I own a savage 25 and its a great truck. It is very durable and will take anything you throw at it. The turning is a little bit sluggish but as mentioned above it can be extreamly inproved without too much money.

i had the same prob as you.. couldnt also really decide between them.
i finaly bought the savage ss version. that thing is huge. tires bigger then a cola can. it just runs over anything in its path.
the ss version is even faster then the rtr. so if ya have all the equipment then i say, go with the ss.

:cheers:

I say go with the savage, I had a ST and you spend more time fixing it then running it.

There is no doubt that the savage is a brute compared to a stadium truck, but you can buy two stadium trucks to one savage for the same cabbage$$$.

:2cents:
Mr T

if you're gonna be jumping much or pounding too much on it, then the nitro mt would probably be more fun. otherwise the savage would be much more fun...

you should get jerry the nitro mt and you get the savage, then you can finally beat up on him :hehe:

That's funny Nitro MT. And Kramer will get a buggy, right? HAHA. Anyway thank-you all for your input. Sure seems to be a lot of support for the Savage, and I think that is the way I am going to go. However, I love the handling of the MT2 that I have seen on the HPI vid's. Just looks so quick and fun to drive..... However, the tank-like features of the Savage are equally appealing.

I'll wait for additional input from you guys. Won't be getting anything until the end of the month anyway.

Thanks again!

George Costanza
" Asst. to the Travelling Secretary - NY Yankees "