Hyper 8 Port Break-in?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage Beast

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
To any Hyper 8 Port users,

I just ordered my Hyper 8 Port engine....should be here soon. I was just wondering if there are any special tricks to breaking it in right. I know the general rules for breaking in an engine, but if anyone has any experienced suggestions, I would appreciate it. I want to do it right the first time.

well on my second 8 port i put about a table spoon of fuel in the carb and pulled the handle till it was easy to pull before i mounted it to the savage ..only took about 10 mins of pulling before it started..good luck and dont give up..it will be worth the cramped fingers and blisters

We got another 8 port and we put after run oil before we installed it and pulled the cord a few hundred times without a glowplug to loosen it up. Darn thing was still hard.

ahh the joys of a high compression engine....

It sounds to me like this engine has very high compression compared to the Nitro Star 21 BB. The break in for the stock engine wasn't very difficult at all. After the Hyper 8 port is broken in, will it start and run easy? Or should I get a good pair of gloves for my hands?

get some mechanix gloves or something similar for the break in. If you don't you will get blisters. I think after break-in the engine should run great for you. By everyones account this thing is a screamer.

BTW- Welcome to RCNT.com

The engine runs awesome! Its not that during break in the engine runs crappy. Its just getting the thing started. The compression is so high, and the pull cord is so short, and especially when it is stuffed in a Savage, you are guaranteed to have sore fingers. After a few tanks run through the mill, the pulling gets a lot easier and the engine starts quickly.

Keep the gloves handy though. Sometimes it will still get stubborn. This happens when the engine stops and the piston is at the top of its stroke. So when its still hot and all the parts are expanded, pull out the plug and make sure the piston is not at the top of its stroke. If it is, pull the starter or rotate the flywheel (watch out, it might be hot)
:cheers:

I know this isnt exactly about the Hyper 8 but would it not make sense to just use a starter box rather than kill your hands on a shor rip cord???:confused:

Starter boxes cannot be used on monster trucks unless its on a buggy chassis.

yup you will just have to suffer through it and take it like a man. Like my pops always said, "anything worth having is worth working hard for."

just started mine for the first time lsn 3.5,4 turns out from flush,hsn 2 turns out then when it starts 5 turns out as sone as it starts 2 pulls and mine was running also 2 glow plug brass washer helps good luck.

I had to go 2 turns from close on the HSN when I broke my 8 port in. Once I got it started I went 3 more turns out. That pull cord on the Hyper 8 port is pretty short. So during break in, I pulled off the pin which holds down the rear of the tank. Then I moved the tank out of the way. That way your not having a hard time grabbing the cord.

Oh and you must go bare handed on the pull cord. You can't just say you own an Ofna Hyper 8 port and not have blisters after break in:p

Last edited:
Originally posted by 007kel

Oh and you must go bare handed on the pull cord. You can't just say you own an Ofna Hyper 8 port and not have blisters after break in:p

very good point, gloves are for sissies :hehe: my blisters healed ok

i ran 3 tanks at idle in my 8 port today and 1 tank at 1/2 throttle burst it never got hot to touch is that normal if so should start to lean it out

Robby, from my experience everyone is going to have they're own way of breaking in a motor. My lhs guy said to run it idle on 3
tanks, and go ahead and lean it out. One other guy said to run it idle for 2 tanks, and start varying the throttle opening on the 3rd and 4th.

Well this is what I did:
I ran idle the first 3 tanks. Then I was running the throttle on quick bursts, opening 1/4 throttle, then coasting for the 3rd and 4th tank. I was reading 150-180 degrees off the base of the heatsink by the glow plug (consider the temp here at Pasadena was in the upper 60's and mid 70's).

I think your okay. I started leaning out the HSN when I was on my 5th tank.

You're going to love this motor.

Well, I finished with the break-in. I'd have to say minus the missing skin on my knuckles and the huge blister (nope...no gloves), everything went pretty good. Anyone considering an engine upgrade, go with the Hyper 8 Port. This engine really screams!!! T-Max watch out....I'm comin' for ya'!

P.S. Isn't it strange that the stock Nitro Star .21 BB costs $210, but the Hyper 8 Port is only $134.95? :cheers: Go figure.

Originally posted by Savage Beast
Well, I finished with the break-in. I'd have to say minus the missing skin on my knuckles and the huge blister (nope...no gloves), everything went pretty good. Anyone considering an engine upgrade, go with the Hyper 8 Port. This engine really screams!!! T-Max watch out....I'm comin' for ya'!

P.S. Isn't it strange that the stock Nitro Star .21 BB costs $210, but the Hyper 8 Port is only $134.95? :cheers: Go figure.

Yeh I have the Hyper too, I was at my LHS tonight and they just started stocking the Stock Savage motor. It was priced at $150, I almost fell on the floor laughing! Its a pretty good motor, just not a Hyper21.

Back