My Redcat: Update

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I picked up a Redcat Chimera 1/5 sandrail. Had several problems right off. The kill switch was bad, the steering servo failed, roll cage was just as strong as a house of cards. The exhaust broke, and the ONLY part covered by warranty was the servo.
With all of the problems I just did not give up on her, not yet. Took it out today. Now the body does not break, it shatters when hit. So with almost no body, no wing mount. no hood I still took it out for a run. Ran the best it ever has. Ran an entire tank through it without an issue. When they run like that it makes you happy that you bought it. Even though it was loud, and made a lot of smoke it was a blast.
I will be ordering parts to start replacing broken parts soon. As long as she keeps running like this I will be happy with it. I know there will be more issues, but I have hope to end up with a good truck here.
I still do not recommend buying Redcat to anyone, but with some more parts, a LOT of work and some re-engineering she will be a good truck. Shaun

Sadly I've seen more bad stories about this brand than good.

The list of things I have done to it s far: First off I installed a Killer Bee Failsafe. then it was ball bearings, re-engineered the rear suspension so that the cage can be removed for servicing, I also reworked the steering linkages to allow for a better turning radius. I have had to replace most of the roll cage, the lower arms on the front suspension,the steering servo, the kill switch, the receiver (this was so I could link it with my radio) The carb needs rebuilding and the entire thing is a muddy mess.
This is being called my Mad Max truck. It is ugly, and REALLY beat up. But it is FINALLY a fun truck to drive. Out of the box, well I will just say it was a pain. But with as much fun as I am having with it now I am becoming more happy with it. Shaun

Well after a good run against a Losi 5t I have some more repairs to do. Broke another control arm and more roll cage. But an the plus side it did hold its own and even lead for a few laps. However the OBR engine did prove to be more than the redcat could keep pace with. Shaun

Redcat has covered another part with warranty, the tune pipe as it broke at a weld.

Well at least they are covering it under warranty!

Back