Rovan Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am not the type to just buy, I like to research first. I have decided to get a 5th scale truck. I was looking at the HPI but then ran across the Rovan. Now so far the only recuring complaints I have found have been the exhaust clamp and clutch bell.
Does anyone here have one? If the two parts are the only ones that will give me fits then this may be the way I will go. I will just replace them both right away with HPI parts and have some fun. My other question is: Do the HPI REALLY fit right on? I do not want to have something that I have to modify every part to make it work. My lhs stocks some parts for the HPI so getting those would be easy.
Thank You, Shaun

I had one. Great buy, dont regret going with it at all over the HPI. If I were to get back into 1/5 again Id likely go with Rovan again. Yes the HPI parts fit right on. I got several things from another member here who has HPI Baja's and they all directly fitted.

Hmm, and I always thought Rovan RC was a company that modded HPI 5Bs and 5Ts, very interesting. Until now I've only seen pics of them and never bothered to learn more. They have some nice coloured buggies.

For me, I am just starting in large scale. The biggest I had was an old mgt 4.6 a few years back. That was fun except when I broke something. Large scale even 5 years ago did not have the large parts supply it has now. That for me is a big deal. I know I will break stuff. I will need parts. I do not want to have to get ahold of the manufacturer and hope that they have the part I need and it is available.
Now after watching a ton of videos and reading tons of reviews Rovan quality has improved substantially in the last couple years, and they are compatible with HPI parts making stock and aftermarket huge for this truck. So the $1200 price tag for the HPI is more than I want to pay, but the $600 tag on the Rovan is nice. Thank You, Shaun

The muffler clamp is tricky and hard to get it back on and seal correctly, but it can be done. I think it comes with a 8000 RPM clutch. That needs to be switched out to a 6000. The 8000 is too many RPM's to get it to go when just running around in the yard. When new, the clutch over heated and smoked the bearing bracket. It had to be replaced with a new one (for free from the dealer it was purchased through). The brake pads, when new, were too tight and dragging. They were removed and ground down a little with some sand paper. After that, they were good. Other than this stuff, the truck has been great. We ran it all year and never had any other problems. The HPI's are really nice and if money didn't matter, it would be the choice BUT, the Rovan is the same thing and it allows getting into 1/5 a lot cheaper.