My jato upgrades and with 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. (photo intensive)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just thought I'd post these up. It's not a 3.3, just the body. Got it off ebay...

It's the old 2.5 jato with the non-ano'd head. It has my 18TM in it though.

How it was with pro-line gladiators and edge tires on TRX 2.2 rims:
2007-0728-JatoRight.jpg

click here

How it is now:

Moab's on the rear, road rage front:
2008-0330-JatoWithBuggyRims-NEhubsBodySpur.jpg

Click here

Road rage all around:
2008-0329-JatoBuggyWheelsExhaust.jpg

Click here

I also installed a 3 degree rear pivot plate vs the stock 4 degree... I wish they made a 2 or 1 degree. Since I'm a basher, all that extra angle does is cause tire wear and takes off speed with sticky tires.

The upgrades:
JR 590M t/b servo
TowerPro MG995 for steering
Resonator single chamber pipe (jato 3.3 pipe)
RPM arms
RPM front skid
New Era 17mm adapters
OS 18TM w/pull start
Hot racing brake arm
Bearings in steering bell cranks
Bearings in brake pivot

I also made a steel plate to help support the front tie rod ends in the front bulkhead. I did the same for the rear, but it's wasn't nearly as straight forward/easy to make. I'm also running an associated spring secured header. I have a new stock one laying around in case I want to install the 2.5 back into it for fun.

By adding the buggy wheels/tires, it feels like a lost a lot of rotational mass. Attitude adjustment in the air requires much more drastic inputs. But, I added significant ground clearance for on-road/skate park purposes. The pro-line 2.2" on-road tires are much shorter side walled than 2.2" off road tires. The 1/8 buggy onroad tires are a hair larger than my 2.2" off road as are the 1/8 buggy offroad tires/rims I have.

I really like how it feels with the buggy rims/tires. I lost wheelies (thank god), but I gained more ground clearance in general and it seems to react more quickly to throttle/steering inputs. It takes off so fast now off the line due to getting wheel spin vs wheelie when I apply a lot of gas.

It was pretty cold yesterday when I ran it (42F) which made the on-road tires almost useless even on concrete at the skate park. I had to really feather it to get it moving. The moabs did a much better job on pavement and in the grass.

I have a set of badlands on my X1 buggy... which may find their way to the rear of my jato in the near future.

I'm also glad I don't have to keep 3 types of rims/tires on hand anymore. Just 17mm buggy rims/tires for my buggy and jato, and 14mm maxx sized rims/tires for my LST.

Here's the street tire/wheel comparison for size:
2008-0329-Jato-BuggyWheelCompareStreet.jpg

Click here

And all the tires/wheels for size comparison:
2008-0329-Jato-BuggyWheelCompareAll.jpg

Click here

My front brace:
2008-0329-Jato-FrontBrace01.jpg

Click here
Rear:
2008-0329-Jato-RearBrace01.jpg

Click here

And also the new aluminum brake arm:
2008-0330-JatoHotBrakeArm.jpg

Click here

I couldn't believe the difference the aluminum brake arm made. I actually had to adjust my linkage and my EPA considerably. Now I have room to move as it wears the disk! Before, I was at almost max EPA and had the brake adjustment so close to the servo that it was causing a very light bit of drag brake. I had been fighting with the brakes on this thing since I got it. For those of you with the same problem, start with an aluminum arm like I got! They are pretty cheap and really make a difference.

Anyone else get the 17mm adapters? If so, how did you like it?

Last edited:
That looks like a kick-ass jato Olds. So how is it in speed? With that engine can it keep up with the 3.3? And I really like your buggy tires on it. they look good.

I have it geared as low as possible... I think. I'm not big on speed, but it's fast enough to be a handful. Rarely do I hit second at my skate park, it's dinky.

With the buggy tires, it's much more controllable at higher speeds. Reacts much more quickly to brakes/turning than I'm used to.

I'll get a better feel for it when it warms up outside. Cold rubber, cold cement = bad grip.

I put the tyres off my Stampede onto my Jato.
No traction on tarmac, at least for the first tank. But it does have a slightly bigger rolling radius. But I couldnt tell you if it goes faster. (does it need to? Really)

They were on it when I got it. I got it used off a forum. They are just RPM arms that can be bought anywhere RPM is sold.

yhea I got them and a front bumper. Now I need a hump pack and I was going to get a pipe. But I have been told the 3.3 jato pipe is a good pipe?

But I have been told the 3.3 jato pipe is a good pipe?

I can't say if it's better or not than anything else... I had the stock pipe on it for a bit with the original 2.5, then I installed an associated "tuned" pipe (old rc10 pipe I think) and I finally won a 3.3 pipe on ebay. With the 18TM in it... it makes it hard to tell if it's performing good or not. It's fast regardless what I do to it.

is that a stinky sock i see on your engine? lol

Not stinky... it was new at one point. When I took those pics, I had been running in 50F degree weather. The sock was to help keep the temps up to avoid running too lean. Works well until it gets wet.

Not stinky... it was new at one point. When I took those pics, I had been running in 50F degree weather. The sock was to help keep the temps up to avoid running too lean. Works well until it gets wet.

i was just messin with you Olds, looks great. i want to put some buggy rims like that on my revo, like they have on the platinum edition.

Yeah, I know.

I thought the same thing back when I had a maxx. I thought it would be kind of cool to do it... but I never got around to it. On a jato, it really is nice in the handling department.

I just gut a fistful of new bearings from fasteddy.com. Hopefully they will hold up better than the avid's I used on the axles. They only lasted about 3-4 outings and are now all wobbly and loose.

Back