Roll cage fabrication

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-maxxJared

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a tig welder and I was thinking about getting some 3/16" or 1/4" chrome-moly tubing and tig'ing up a nice little roll cage for my t-maxx. Are there any crucial tie-in points where it is best to tie the cage into the chassis? I know it could be done with mild steel or aluminum, but chrome-moly is right in between the 2 weightwise and a little bit stronger than both using a slightly thinner wall thickness, and if I have the tools, why not. The roll cage in my mud jeep wasn't too difficult, I would have never thought about making one 1/10th the size though!

I would like it to be a roll CAGE, not a roll BAR, so I want it to cover front to back, pretty much following the body lines of the hood, cab, and bed. If I ever figure out a way to get some pictures on here, I will post them and keep you updated with how it turns out.

do you have a small bender too?
I have 1/4 & 3/8 copper tube benders...they'll bend chromoly too....if you want I'll try and hook up w/ ya next week and we can do your maxx and my buggy....mine won't need bending though

and make it so the cae contacts the chassis as close to the corners of it as you can get

I've got a couple different benders for 1/8" up to 2". I haven't used the tig in a few months, I have to break it out and get my rythm again before I try to do something pretty with it...

all I care about is making it work....pretty is for loosers and shelf queens.....LOL....neither of which are on my resume

plaid, did you get whatever parts you were looking for yesterday at southeast so you could run tomorrow?

I'm gonna go tomorrow....Jim will be there from SE too...I'm gonna just rebuild the diff at the track...

plaid r u runnin tomorrow at mills pond??

T-maxxJared said:
If I ever figure out a way to get some pictures on here, I will post them and keep you updated with how it turns out.

www.photobucket.com
It doesn't get any easier than that.. They give you all the tags, it's basically "Cut & Paste" I'd love to see the progress.. Customizing is what seperates the boys from the men in this hobby... Good luck..

thanks for the info on posting the pictures, I don't have a digital camera so I take them with a regular, get them developed, and scan them, but I will try to keep an update going

Last edited:
Jared have you started to fab your cage yet just curious how its going?

Haven't started yet jesse, I have run into some engine problems that I have been focusing all of my time on for the past few days. I have to go pick up the tubing and I hope to get started on it late this week or this weekend. After the mud trucks and race cars, It's so weird going to the metal shop to get metal to build a roll cage and only asking for 10 feet.

Back