Used Buggy Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabaka

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello everyone. I inherited two buggies which were manufactured by a company named Heng Long. I did a little research on this company but it seems it's an uncommon RC manufacturer. Both are used, but one of them is (was) in good condition. I've never owned a rc nitro car before (I'm 34 years old) and a client of mine just handed them to me. One was used quite a bit as I found grass and dirt built up around the suspension parts and axles. The other one was only used once! Apparently they started it up at a tradeshow in Austria about two years ago, used it for 15 minutes, boxed it up, and it sat in a closet for two years. Either way, this is the one I'd like to get started first since it's in decent condition.

I purchased fresh nitro fuel from my local hobby shop and a couple dozen batteries. A glow plug was provided along with an ez starter drill kit. Here's one of the problems, the drill charger is for an eastern european outlet which can't be converted (at least that I know of). So I did what any harry homeowner would do, pull out the drill and try it myself. I noticed a little resistance at first but I gave it some power and started to hear the engine crank. But then, after after priming, then attempting to start it, I heard the engine turn over but then a dreaded CLANK CLANK CLANK noise! It was a bit dramatic so I stopped what I was doing and read a little online.

Sure enough, I was attempting to crank the engine in the wrong direction and hopefully didn't damage anything terrible bad. I noticed a bit of black grease coming from the hexagon EZ starter drill area which means a little oil has leaked out.

I tried spinning the engine in the opposite (correct) counter clockwise direction but it just spins freely with no way to engage the flywheel. I think the one way bearing was ruined and I possible killed this little free buggy.

So I'm not in too deep yet. I've spent $30 on fuel and maybe $15 in batteries. I can buy another ez high speed RPM drill set for $40 online I guess. But, if I trashed the engine, then I'm looking at even more money. This sounds like a hobby that I probably will cost me a lot of money :hehe: So much for getting a "free" RC car.

I gave it some power and started to hear the engine crank. But then, after after priming, then attempting to start it, I heard the engine turn over but then a dreaded CLANK CLANK CLANK noise! It was a bit dramatic so I stopped what I was doing and read a little online.

Sure enough, I was attempting to crank the engine in the wrong direction and hopefully didn't damage anything terrible bad. I noticed a bit of black grease coming from the hexagon EZ starter drill area which means a little oil has leaked out.

I tried spinning the engine in the opposite (correct) counter clockwise direction but it just spins freely with no way to engage the flywheel. I think the one way bearing was ruined and I possible killed this little free buggy.

. This sounds like a hobby that I probably will cost me a lot of money :hehe: So much for getting a "free" RC car.

Actually, you had it right the first time. There should be some resistance while turning the engine over. If you're free spinning, you're turning the wrong direction or your OWB is really funktified. What direction was your drill turning initially? Clockwise?

Its hard to tell what the clank noise is without hearing it but, there's a possibility you hydro locked the engine.

Hydro lock is a condition where the combustion chamber gets flooded with unburnt fuel preventing the piston from completing a full stroke.
It's good you stopped when you did (that's if it's actually hydro lock).

Remove your glow plug and connect your glow plug igniter to it. The filament should have a bright orange glow.

Next, with the glow plug removed, turn your car upside down and turn the engine over with your drill forcing the unspent fuel out of the combustion chamber.

Reinsert your glow plug and try to restart. If your drill has an adjustable torque adjustment, you want just enough torque to turn the engine over, if it abruptly stops turning over that's an indication of hydro lock.

Preheating your engine with a hair dryer will sometimes help start the engine a little easier. Do you have an owners manual? You're gonna have to do a break in procedure.

As far as "free RC car" goes, there's no such thing. :hehe: Extremely fun hobby though. Can you post some pics of your buggys?

Last edited:
Tried everything today, I couldn't get this little buggy started. I'm going to sell it in the classifieds or try my luck on Craigslist. It just doesn't want to turn over no matter how long I put the glow plug on or spin the flywheel. I can hear it possibly wanting to turn, but it doesn't happen. I've adjusted the idle and fuel control valves but nothing happens. It doesn't want to ignite or start. Problems like this is why everyone in the world will be driving in Teslas down the road lol. Thanks for the help, maybe down the line I'll buy one that actually works.

Last edited:
You can remove the one way bearing and clean it with alcohol. Make sure you put it back the same way it came out.
Now it should spin the engine and you can go from there.
That won't cost you anything, and it's common maintenance when the starter slips.