Anyone use NiHM or NiCD batteries for 1/10 scale anything still?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just like the title says. anyone still use them? I mean like a club race class or something like that. specifically power packs not Rx or micro packs. sound off if you do and what class.

Just had the thought and had to ask.

I use them in 1/8 scale......gotta power my roto-start.

I use them to power the winch on my SCX-10/JK project. The original controller wasn't able to use the LiPos.

I'm also using the stock M8 pack as the rx pack in my XXL.

I'm actually looking for people who still use and make 4 or 6 cell packs for powering touring cars, 1/10 scale trucks and buggies things like that. anyone still do it?

Last edited:
Most of the racing crowd that I know of runs LiPo in their TCs. A couple of the 1/12th scale Blinky guys are running NiMH packs from the micro Losi Vehicles. But as far as main batteries, only the very youngest guys I know are even running them to bash.

I am still using them in my TC4 still, but I did not make them up...I bought them built. The only reason I still do is because my cheap ass won't buy lipos for it while my NiMh packs are still good. I also like the weight they add to the car....it handles nice. Everyone else I run with has made the switch to lipo though.

I know I'm bumping this thread, but I haven't been around for a while. You guys redecorated!

I'm still armchair RCing, but I'm looking to get back to actually running. I only bash around, I'm not looking for peak performance, and I don't build my own packs. I'm still firmly entrenched in the NiMH camp. I want something forgiving that I can chuck in the closet for days, months, or even years. NiMHs are forgiving, and don't have the reputation LiPos have for igniting or exploding. (Yes, I know things have gotten better, in that regard.) Even NiCads used to annoy me, with their need to be discharged or they'd develop a memory.

Yeah LiPo has pretty much taken over...NiXX is still around but most people like myself only use em for RX packs on nitros and even that is slowly loosing ground to LiPo and LiFe. As for them being high maintenance once they are storaged charged they will pretty much stay that way indefinitely. I check mine once or twice a year when they arent in use but theyre almost always basically at the same charge level.

Back