Beginner Helicopter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am looking to get into helicopters but don't want to go crazy in price and am leaning towards a nitro one. Can anybody suggest a good beginner one I would look at an electric one as a starter if need be.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy an expensive nitro heli for your first heli. Nowadays there is no need to get in that deep for a beginner. Go buy a Blade MCX2 coaxial, and learn to fly that in all orientations. If you get that down, and are still having fun, then step up to a single rotor fixed pitch heli. The Blade helis are great for the money, and most hobby shops will have replacement parts.

I have an mCX and totally agree. They're really tough little birds that are relatively easy to fly. If you get into trouble, just chop the throttle.

That's the bird. The only thing I'd change is to get a better charger and to eventually get a computer radio like a DX6 or DX7.

I do have a Duratrax ice charger that will do lipos but is not a balancer may look at a lipo charger with balancer after I get the bird.

You can start off cheap then work your way up. I picked up a quad-copter last year at the Toledo Show for $50.00 and the thing is a little too advanced for me. I took it out to a buddies house who had a lot of open field on a windy day and that didn't slow it down! It's called a Ladybird V2 although it looks like a ladybug. I've got some other cheapies and they don't fly anywhere nearly as well as that thing does! I've got an mcx somewhere around here and that has taken a lot of beatings and kept on flying. I also have 2 Scouts, better choppers for the price.

I am looking to get into helicopters but don't want to go crazy in price and am leaning towards a nitro one. Can anybody suggest a good beginner one I would look at an electric one as a starter if need be.

I have a LaTrax Quad that I play with and it is amazing. I have raced rc cars for decades but this is the first flying RC model I have owned.

I have flown it about 15 times and no crashes so far. It has 3 different skill levels that you can select and I am still on the novice setting but I can fly it with ease.

Check it out.

Lee

I went ahead and jumped on the MCX Coaxial last night I can't wait to get it, look small enough to fly in the house on days when I can't make it outside.