LRP engine in tmaxx 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ochana25

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey everyone I'm just about to order a new engine for my traxxas tmaxx 3.3 I really want to put the LRP in it, if it can be done if not is there another engine that can go I'm that can match or come close to LRP?

I'm assuming you're wanting something like the LRP .28 or LRP .32 mills? If so that's going to be a HUGE upgrade over the stock traxxas 2.5 or 3.3 engines. You're going to need a big block chassis and lots of drivetrain upgrades too, else expect the LRP to rip it apart.

The simplest upgrade, while still giving you extra power would be something like the Ofna JL .28 Max engine. If I'm not mistaken you'll just need a new engine mount.

Def will need the correct engine mount for the ofna .28 I think most come with the mount for either the maxx or revo. Also would want to take a look at the big block pipe adapters so you can run a proper BB pipe. I would give the Picco .21 maxx a look though, from what I have seen they have awesome top end and plenty down low better than what I have seen from the Ofna .28 Maxx.

OK sweet could you point me. In the right direction to possibly purchase this engine. And engine mount

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Yes that's the lrp I'm talking about my cousin just put it in his savage and I fell in loved when I was ripping her around if it can be done I wanna attempt it lol

OK sweet could you point me. In the right direction to possibly purchase this engine. And engine mount

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Yes that's the lrp I'm talking about my cousin just put it in his savage and I fell in loved when I was ripping her around if it can be done I wanna attempt it lol

If your wanting to run the LRP.28 or .32 engine you will need a Big block maxx conversion which is an extended chassis kit. There are a lot of different ones out there. From my experience the RD Logics or the supermaxx is about the best and pretty close to the same setup. I would recommend the RD Logics kit since it comes with the engine mount included for the Big block engine and is also setup to use a small block also. I think the cheapest I have seen the RD Logics kit is ebay for around $125.00 which includes shipping. Just keep in mind if your going to do the build a BB maxx ain't cheap. That LRP engine is going to require an all steel RRP gear set and some model#3908 brushless tmaxx diffs to handle the torque. Also a set of steel CVD axles. I have built several BB maxx trucks they are awesome rugs just kinda expensive to build it right to take the punishment LOL! Here's a vid of one of my BB maxx's running a LRP.30X with an ERCM side bleed pipe. And no it wasn't tuned to maxx performance and yes some consider it a shelf queen cause it's got some aluminum upgrades. (Mainly the ones that are needed on the maxx to begin with)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahahahha love it lol u need wheelie bar on there lol

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Do you think u can find me the link on eBay for the chassis kit I can't seem to find it lol

LOL! Yah and it's running a 36T spur and 18T bell so the gearing was pretty high at the time of the vid. I built that rig to run at the local track in the MT class unfortunate they decided not to run nitro this year go figure. Seems to be a growing trend at all the local tracks every ones running the SC electrics which I find completely boring. Any how if you have any questions just post up there is a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. Just keep in mind if you plan on building the BB maxx they get expensive real quick. I can't seem to get a link to post but if you search Tmaxx conversion there is a seller RCmaxpower that has the RD LOgics conversion on there. I tried here is the link not sure if it will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDLogics-T-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4866814ed8

Last edited:
if you dont want to spend a bomb on a full bb conversion i would look at the ofna .28 max ,its a great engine for the price and you can still run the stock exhaust if you want ,i have put this engine in a 2.5 revo and it makes a 3.3 maxx look like its standing still.down the track you may want to put a bb exhaust on it to get the full potential out of it.

OK will definitely look in that thanks you guys are awesome

---------- Post added at 6:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:45 AM ----------

Hulkmaxx I totally agree electric sucks I'm a mechanic and I hate electrics so there's no way I'll like them in rc lol plus I'm addicted to the smell of the Nitro definitely a fun addictive hobby I'm totally hooked wish I started it long ago lol

Chickenmans got a point man the Ofna.28 max engine runs great also. But even if you go that route your still going to want to upgrade to the brushless maxx diffs.

On eBay it seems the ofna is more expensive then the lrp and it doesn't even meet its specs and if I gotta upgrade with the ofna to wouldn't it be better to just attempt the lrp? Hulkmaxx showed my Nitro buddy ur video he loved it lol

I’ve built a lot of Maxx’s and if you’re looking to go BB or even a mid block its best IMO to go with an aftermarket extended chassis or a mono block extension (or both).

The stock extended chassis is just too short for decent power and you just end up with a wheelie machine that you can’t put down/use the power you invested in effectively.

There’s a UE Thunder chassis on the bay that would be a good start for a BB build.

Yes, a thunder chassis will work with any nitro BB engine but... You would still need a few more things like engine mount and center shafts to be able to add what you have and have a running rig.
Most all aftermarket extended BB chassis require a specific length rear, and some a front center shaft. Several even require a specific rear skid plate to make up the difference in length.
Most then require drive cups to be able to use the shafts and so on and so on etc, etc.
When going true BB it’s never an easy plug and play transition. If you’re looking for a quick fix it may be best to go with a drop in mid block like the ofna.

Be prepared to invest a lot of coin in a true BB build.
FWIW: A decent scratch BB build will cost around $1000.00 to have a somewhat reliable rig and lots more if you want all the good stuff…

Or go buy a savage and be done with it lol. Sorry had to say it.

Lool I'll stick with my tmaxx already invested money for the integy suspension and I personally like them better then savage my cousin has a savage with lrp so kinda wanna put him to shame lol

Now when I purchase this bb chassis will I be able to transfer my tmaxx parts over minus the ones that need upgrade