Why is a Brushed motor needed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I have been looking at an entry level bully crawler and was wondering why they seem to be all brushed motors being used instead of brushless? Also what motor ESC setup do you guys run? Thanks

Tom

The argument is that brushed motors don't cog like brushless. Brushless are an AC motor where as brushed are DC.

Tom the bullies are a great axle. The light weight version is VERY preferable though, just an FYI.
Dont mess with brushless on it either, it will cog and suck bad. If you wanna go cheap, but good, go with an Integy 45t front and back. What radio will you be using? If you dont have the ability to run dual esc's, go with a mamba max or mamba pro on 3 or 4s. Bullies do great on 4s.

Tom the bullies are a great axle. The light weight version is VERY preferable though, just an FYI.
Dont mess with brushless on it either, it will cog and suck bad. If you wanna go cheap, but good, go with an Integy 45t front and back. What radio will you be using? If you dont have the ability to run dual esc's, go with a mamba max or mamba pro on 3 or 4s. Bullies do great on 4s.

I have a lot to learn and will not make a purchase without doing some more homework and consulting you guys here first. I am using a spektrum dx4r pro transmitter. It has been a long time since I used a brushed motor.

The Spektrum dx4 is capable of running dual esc's for a moa crawler. But that will obviously cost you more to do. But it is an option. You can run dual sidewinder or mamba micro's on 4s as well and have a small foot print sitting in your chassis. But if you arent going to be comping and dont wanna go all out, a single will do just fine.

I would like to eventually like to compete.....but for now it's just for fun. When you say I can run single you mean single esc dual motors? Or just one motor?

single esc dual motor. If you go with bullies, bergs or xr10's you have to run dual motors, one on each axle.

single esc dual motor. If you go with bullies, bergs or xr10's you have to run dual motors, one on each axle.

Oh man do I have a lot to learn!!!!

lot more torks with brush motor scaling rocks as supposed 2 bruilsless flat out to get out holling ass.

You are incorrect on this premise. Brushless motors can have just as much torque as a brushed. The lower the kV rating or higher turn rating the more the torque.

Brushed and brushless is just the manner in which the energy is transmitted. Brushed uses a direct connection (brushes) to move the magnetic field whereas brushless uses alternating magnetic fields to cause the rotor to turn.

Edit:
The main reason that almost all competition crawler guys use brushed motors is because of cogging (a stuttering at start). Most sensorless systems don't cog now.

Last edited:
I also think brushed motors are smoother at real low speed finess type stuff that is very common in comp crawling.

Back