DC Power Supply for starter box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey I have a 20 Amp tripp-lite 12VDC power supply, can I use this to power my starter box directly? I don't think I have fuse protection on the 12V side but I do on the 110VAC side.....what would I need to do to make this usable so I can minimize the crap I bring to the track?.......

Interesting idea. I have thought of this but never tried it. I am not sure if it would work but the idea is promising. I will try it out at home. Just be careful on the current setting. I am not sure what the current draw is on the starter box. 1 Amp will screw a lot over and kill you. Exercise caution.

I beleive if it's a PS not a charger the motor will draw what it needs..if the motor draws more than your PS you just woudn't get the juice you need..I have 20 amps w/ my PS so I think it should be enough to run the motor....unless the current draw spikes real high when you put the load to it...I'm not really sure of this but to the best of my knowledge it should work....I deal w/ low voltage stuff all day and I can't think of why it wouldn't work.....I was wondering if anyone out there is doing it already......at my track we have 110 outlets everywhere so it would mean I can leave the battery at home and not worry about it running out ever......

Plaidfish said:
I beleive if it's a PS not a charger the motor will draw what it needs..if the motor draws more than your PS you just woudn't get the juice you need..I have 20 amps w/ my PS so I think it should be enough to run the motor....unless the current draw spikes real high when you put the load to it...I'm not really sure of this but to the best of my knowledge it should work....I deal w/ low voltage stuff all day and I can't think of why it wouldn't work.....I was wondering if anyone out there is doing it already......at my track we have 110 outlets everywhere so it would mean I can leave the battery at home and not worry about it running out ever......
I have a 3 amp 13.8VDC Power supply. I will try it out at home later. I will let you know!

I was looking for the current rating on the OFNA motor and I couldn't find any data...3A sounds a little low but hey give it a try and see......

My power supply fuse went dead when I tried it but I am not sure if it was me or not.I will get a new fuse and try it out again . I may try a 25 Volt 10 Amp P/S I have at work.

25VDC might kill your box motor...but the amperage should be more in the range you want....I'm still trying to see if my PS switch is a breaker or just on / off........I think I just found my data sheet and I'm gonne try mine tonite.......

Back