Battery pack for Airtronics MX-3... what are you guys using?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WA2FAST

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was changing the batteries out of my transmitter and when I was knocking them out, the whole battery tray popped out of the bottom and it has a cord like the battery packs in the recievers do! This was news to me... that's pretty cool that I can get a pack for it instead of regular batteries all of the time. My charger has a plug for it anyway, so I want to get one.

Obviously there has to be a battery pack made for this, like a flat pack that is 12V or whatever... what are you guys running? Is there a better one than another, or is there something special I need to get? What are you using? Thanx!

:thumbup:

I am using reg batteries in mine but Airtronics does offer a rechargable one, the # is 95046Z according to my instruction book.

battery

not any help, but I've had the same duracell alkalines in my mx-3 TX for about 2 1/2 gallons, and there still showing 10.2 volts. I've never had a problem jsut running alkalines in my TX, last plenty long.

Right, your very right about it, just I was out shopping and replaced my regular alkaline battery pack in the car for a ncie rechargable, and now that this transmitter has the ease of this option and a charging port righ on the outside that matches my charger, I figured what the hell... might as well. Anyone use this? Or should I just forget about it?:\

its $35 for the battery. a pack of good duracells not from dollar store come up to about $7-$10

I use radio shack 2000Mah NiMH AA's. I also use a charger that I had for my JR radio. I had to switch the polarity on the plug though since the center post is positive on the MX3.

I think the radio shack bats are lik $25 for 4. But I've been using the same 8 for 2 years now.

Also, when charging, I keep a close eye on the voltage since the charger was made for NiCD bats.

I'm with olds97_lss
exact same story here

I just loaded up my regular AA tray with 8x 2000mah Nimh's, i've run packs in the past and they have annoyed me a little, I think I like just using the existing tray.

As said above, gotta watch the voltage since nimh's should be peaked charge and the plain adaptor that plugs into your radio won't do that.

The solution in my book is to use a charger with a low amperage, that way even if you leave it long a little extra you won't fry your cells. I use a 12v/300ma adaptor.

Oh also, realise that the "charger" is something you can just make yourself, if you've got some 12v power supplies lying around. I've made a few now, don't see the point in throwing $$$ at a radio company for a measly adaptor.

But if you don't have adaptors lying around or if youve already bought the charger, then no big deal.

I bought the charger for my hump pack for the car, it just happens to have a connector that is the right polarity and connector for the transmitter. It was very inexpensive and I only bought it because I honestly didn't feel like cutting and splicing connectors together for the hump pack... and this one is nice and has two cords and two lights on the charger to give you a status of the charge... one cord for the transmitter and one for the hump pack. Oh yeah... did I mention that it was cheap :whistle:

Anyway, I just saw that the way the MX-3 is made is pretty cool, in the way that you can just pop out the battery pack that accepts regular AA's and plug in a battery pack instead. I figured that there would be some sort of 12v flat pack out there that would fit, but I don't even think I am going to worry about it anyway... I always keep extra batteries on hand anyhow. Thanx guys.