Charger power supply from pc atx ps

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have started making a power supply to power my chargers from an atx power supply. It is a great project if you have an old ps laying around. I am using a new Linkworld LPG8-350W ps, rated for 15 amps output at +12 volts. I bought it new for $30 because I couldn't find an old one. My neighbor just tossed out a pc with one in it a few weeks ago - oh well!

I am using plans from www.rcbatteryclinic.com and from the Sept 03 AMA magazine. I am going to trick it out with binding posts for 12V, 5V, and 3.3V output. 12v is for peak chargers, and 5 and 3.3 v will be good for breaking in motors and who knows what else.

It is really pretty simple, but it requires some tools and a voltmeter. Following the instructions, here is the first step:

1038pcps-web2-med.jpg

Take it out of the case and find the PS-On and PW-OK wires (green and grey in my case). Then apply a resistor across the +5 V line and common (red and black), and measure voltage between +12v and common (yellow and black). The resistor tells the ps that the computer is on, and makes it boost output on the 12 V line. The lower the load resistor, the higher the output.

Next pick out three +12v wires and three commons (yellow and black) to solder to the binding posts. Trim off all the others, except for 5v or 3.3 v wires if you plan to use them. Install binding posts, solder it up, and put it back together.

The MARCEE instructions from batteryclinic says to use a 1 ohm resistor on the +5 v line. The AMA article says to use a 50 ohm resistor to reduce wasted power on the circuit, since a 1 ohm load at 5v will waste 25 watts of power. I tried 20 ohms, then 10 ohms, then 5 ohms, trying to get higher voltage on the 12 v output. The pic above shows it putting out 12.27 volts with a 5 ohm resistor, but that dropped to 11.6 volts with a 5 amp charger load. The AMA guy claims to get over 13V with a 50 ohm resistor, so maybe mine is a dog, I don't know. I hoped to be able to run at least two chargers off it, but not if it drops under 11 volts or so.

I am going to try a lower resistance for more voltage, then finish it with binding posts and a switch. Even if I can't get a lot more voltage out of it, it is still worth doing for a light, cheap ps. It will run one good charger at least. At this time I recommend against buying one just for this use until I figure out what is possible for output. But if you have one laying around, give it a try (just be careful, unplug it before playing inside, etc, etc).

i made one on wednesday night, it only took me about an hour or so. i had an old at p/s that i ripped apart. i used four 12v leads and four commons for the terminals. the thing i read said to put a 12v automotive light on a 5v lead for the resistance. then the light acts as an indicator too so you know when its on. i still need to put in a light and i was thinking about a 12v cigarette outlet so i can run other things too.

Yeah, I have instructions that mention the light too. I played with a light and different combinations of resistors, and found that two 1-ohm resistors in series gave decent output, 12.0 v with a 5 amp charger load. I will try a 10 amp charger load next. If voltage is over 11.75 I'm finished, if not I will probably go to a 1.0 or 1.5 ohm resister.

Last edited:
I decided to stay with a 2 ohm load, from two 1-ohm 10-watt resistors in series. The 2 ohm load will draw 5v/2= 2.5 amps, so it will dissipate (waste) 5v x 2a = 12.5 watts, or half as much wasted as a 1 ohm load. I secured them to an internal heat sink with a cable clamp, shown below. The power wires are running to the underside of two sets of binding posts. I went with 2 posts rather than 3, for 12 v and 5 v output. To the left of the posts is a 12 led light to indicate when it is on. The binding posts are Radio shack pn 274-718, and the resistors are pn 271-131.

1038P1020874-med.JPG

Here is the final product. I finally finished a project! :w00t: It puts out 12.44 v no load, and 11.95 with a 5 amp load. I probably won't use it to run 2 peak chargers at once, as it will be just for backup and road trips, so the saggy voltage on the 12 v terminals isn't a big deal. The 5 v circuit is rated at 25 amps, and is more tightly regulated. I will use that for breaking in brushed car motors.

1038P1020875-med.JPG

Last edited:
did your resisters give you the max on the 5v leads? how much power do you actually get from the 5v? take another pic of your box and your meter but for the 5v output. i have not done anything lse to mine yet. i need to go buy the stuff and i just havent gotten around to it. maybe ill do that soon. btw, i had thought about an led for resistance but i dont think they give very much. mine will have a12v automotive light inside that will shine through the vents so ill know when its on. also, why did you put the resistors where you did? do they get hot or are you just trying to keep them from moving around?

Very nice indeed, I might give this one a try. Thanks Scott!

bk, the 5v output is 4.99-5.01 volts, and very tightly regulated. There was almost no difference in output on 5v with the various resistors. The rated output is 25 amps at 5v. An led has very high resistance, and would not have the effect you need for a load resistor. I tried a light but it had an effective resistance of 5 ohms, resulting in low output voltage. I'm sure various power supplies behave differently, the AMA guy got 13v output with a 50 ohm resistor. I put the resistors there for two reasons, mainly for fit, as I didnt want them to touch any wires, and also for cooling. They will be dissipating 12.5 watts total, as much as a small soldering iron. So they will get hot enough to melt insulation without good cooling.

Thanks HB, it was a fun project. Check batteryclinic.com and pan down the topic list on the left for the plans.

Last edited: