Gas coming out from glow plug...what to do???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R/CAdrenalineRush

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
When my friend tries to start his T-maxx...its pretty hard to start then when it does, gas will come out from around the glow plug and evaporate...(just a little bit of gas...not alot). and when the glow starter is still on the glow plug, the truck has alot of power...but when you take the glow starter out, the truck doesn't have much power.

any ideas?

oh yea the truck runs a little too hot.

Well is the plug in there snug and correct? You may be overheating due to the air leak.

sounds like when he installed the plug he may have lost the copper gasket ,
and it is possible for the plug to go bad around the middle right where the center pole is ,just replace it and should be fine

if the copper gasket is missing then the engine is advanced as the plug is now closer to the piston surface. This may also be a problem if it is not corrected. The piston can hit the plug and cause more damage.

Be sure it is seated right with the copper washer and don't force it in if it doesn't want to.

yes the glow plug is in there snug...and the copper ring is in there (both: the one under the glow plug, and the one under the head)...and we took off the head like 2 times and put it back on to reassure that it was on properly...we adjusted the carb back to the stock settings and it started right up really fast...but it doesn't have much power when we take off the glow starter.

so we kept the glow starter on until the engine was good and warm...and then it ran really good...but it cut off after a roll over...then it was a pain in the @$$ to start back up...

we dont know what to do...any more ideas please?

sounds like it is running really hot for some reason
what are the temps on it ??

we dont know the temps...his thermometer wire broke off...he's gonna get another one soon though...i can tell its running hot just by touching it...you know...usually you can touch your head after running it for a while and its really hot, but you can keep ur finger on it for a second w/o getting a burn...well...my friend burned the crap out of his finger when he accidentally touched it when he was adjust the carb...

so i dont know...

I have had that problem, try taking the copper ring and flipping it over and if it still leaks get a new glow plug and use the copper ring that comes with it.
I had gone through 4 copper rings to find one that didnt leak and I have use it for about 3 gallons of fuel and it is still good as new.

If you have dirt in the heat sink sometimes the copper ring cannot seat correctly. Clean your truck!

save your self the time and aggravation of chasing down too many problems at once...since you removed the head and plug so many times the copper gasgets are probably not seating that well any more....cleanthe head and crankcase real good and replace the head asket and the glowplug.....try it then and see what happens

Back