shock tower? fixable?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

got__nitro?

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok well this really sucked! I crash into my dad's truck at 45. (my first thread) I have to wait 3 days to get the part I need, I get the part fix it. go out and test it, about 1 mintute or less in the run I ramp off the curb on the road and hit a fire hidrent in mid air! broken shock tower. only broke the peg thing where the shock screws in the tower. It screws back in some but I can pull it off kinda easy. is there any way to fix that so it's sturdy and not have to buy a whole new tower? I glued it with plastic sement but somehow I don't think it will do. will it?

Your better off holding out until the proper part comes in the mail.
If you try to fix it and you crash again you will most likely do more damage to your RC because its not structurally sound.

From what I see, you need to find a larger place to drive until you get more control over your RC. It take time.

I was on a farm when I crashed into the truck the first time. do they make aluminum front shock tower? I have an aluminum rear shock tower. I never expect that to brake. another question- can you ajust the steering alignment somehow? my truck always wants to steer a little to the left. I ajusted both knobs all the way right on the controller but it still won't center. the knobs can't make it steer right at all. the steering wheel can though. That's why I'm crashing so much cuz to go strait I always have to steer to the right just a tad but I'm not steady enough and it goes out of control and rolls...(I'm going fast)

I got a new shock tower. haven't got done putting it on yet. that's quit a screw to try to get at the bottom of the chasis. takes me forever to screw the old one out. haven't even got those screwed in yet. I can't even get the screw in the hole in the chasis to screw in! whenever I start going the shock tower moves out of alignment! nasty little buggers to get in! :nope:

What kind of car is this, sorry didn't see your first post.

As for the steering being out, remove the servo saver or horn from the steering servo. Turn your transmitter and receiver on and center the steering trim on your radio. Replace the servo saver or horn with the wheels being straight. Your radio trim should be able to adjust left and right again.

Also check for something else bent or broken, the servo/steering being so far out isn't right.

wats a servo saver and horn?

by the way it's a nitro rustler, the truck.

also the throttle/brake servo. the brake will not activate. not good. it only throttles up but when I hit the brake it doesn't move at all. any answers to that?

The servo saver screws onto the spline of the servo. (See pic, red mark) Remove the piece from the servo, not the arm that goes foward. Center the radio trim. This should center the servo again.

Attachments

• nrustler_topchassis.jpg
    nrustler_topchassis.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 64
I would center the steering trim adjustment knob on your radio. Turn the radio and receiver on and make sure the steering servo centers under no-load conditions.

Once your steering servo is centered you should be able to adjust the drag link between the servo horn and the steering linkage to center the wheels.

Assuming you've never disassembled the steering servo the horn position should be fine. If the wheels are too far left or right after centering the steering trim on the radio, it might be necessary to loosen the servo horn and move it over a notch.

Your throttle and brake are the same servo. With that trim knob and servo centered: 1) The throttle linkage should be slightly spring-loaded and be holding the throttle closed. 2) The brake linkage should have a very small amount of free play. Adjust the collars on the pushrods to take up excessive slack.

After reading Wardo's post about the steering I realize I've given you a different approach, but just as effective.

This is Traxxas' stock steering servo horn/saver combo:

saver.jpg

ok I didn't kno wat any of those words meant on the throttle/brake part. no clue...pushrods...collar...free play...saver...horn? my truck don't have a horn. :dumb:

ok....still don't know wat they mean...sorry I'm a newbie

Well you are going to need to learn these words and phrases sooner or later. Pull out your manual and study it. Or go online and read the manual. There will be a 20 question quiz next week Monday. :p

You need to adjust your steering. The adjustments on the transmitter are for fine tuning only. If you need to make a large adjustment you will have to remove the screw, take the servo saver off, recenter the servo, put the servo saver back on and tighten down the screw. It is a very quick and simple fix.

well I didn't take anything apart but somehow its driving very straight now...wierd...but awesome. now I can get some of that speed out of the truck!

Back