Throttle servo lockup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raaazzzeee

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, after my driving into the water/car running away
ordeal i thought the problems where done. My car was working great, Got it tuned in perfect (thanks to 4u2nv). I drove it arond the yard several times everything worked perfect. So i decieded to get my freind and drive it again when, i started to loose power in the servos (the had a hard time turning) which suprised me because the batterys wern't but a few days old. I figured they where bad baterys and put some fresh ones in. Then my throttle servo started acting kinda weird. I would get to about 1/2 throttle before it started moving (not and engine problem). so i took the body off and the servo was loocked at full brake, Just like when it went in the water. I fixed it after going swimming using a blow dryer. So i used a blow dryer to dry it and it worked for about 1 second the locked again. i let it sit, same results. the i dissconected the reciever and dried it again. When i went to put the wires on ( steering servo channel 2 throttle 1) i reversd them to see if it was the servo malfuntioning or the reciever. Noting budged. Then i put them the way they should be still nothing budged. I reversed them again and the worked perfectly. which shocked me because they where in there opposite channels(the throttle still messed up). Then i put them in the right channels and the where reversed ( throttle to stear steer to throttle). then i put them the way they worked everthing worked like it should even the throttle servo i tested signal by walking away with antenna down, everything was perfect except they where on the wrong channels. also I'm sure the throotle servo will lock up again soon. any insight into how this happened, or what could be causing it?

OK...

A. Please, please, please try using proper punctuation, grammar and spelling. I had to read this post no less than four times before I understood the issue you are facing. I'm not knocking you, just asking that you please be considerate to those you are asking by taking the extra few minutes to post a clear, concise post that is easier to follow and understand. Somewhere, an English teacher is curled in the fetal position sucking their thumb, wimpering.

B. Do you have a failsafe in your rig? The fact that it is locking up with the brakes applied may indicate that either the failsafe is working and is detecting a voltage drop or the failsafe got wet and simply is not working at all.

C. If you do not have a failsafe, then chances are your throttle servo is fried from being wet. I know, not what you want to hear, but I'm inclined to think it may be time to invest in a new servo. It sounds like the RX is working properly, so the culprit has to lie with the servo itself.

D. I STRONGLY suggest you ditch the alkaline batteries you are using and invest in a NiMH battery pack. The voltage output is higher and they last longer. A 1400 NiMH pack can be had at a reasonable cost and will last much, much longer than replacing "AA's" all the time.

Good luck!

sorry for the punstuation, i tried to make as readable asi could. I do not have a fail safe. i though the throttle servo was the problem but it works the after a while it doesn't work, and i am plannign on buying a failsafe and a rechargable battery pack. I appreciate you taking the time to read and diagnose my problem.

I agree with Monkey nuts.. I mean wrench. I think your servo's on its last leg. Seems that your reciever is emiting good signal, so makes me think its the servo.

I also agree with Monkey on the rechargeable battery packs. Check out TeamFastEddy.com (Fast Eddy here). Hes a great guy to do buisness with and has great prices.

I'm with these guys. I've gotten my fair share of servo's wet and that's what they do. They act unreliably, then start working, then freak out and go WOT into a tree or something because you think it's ok.

It's better to cut your losses now and replace the suspected damaged servo. If you like the servo, then buy one like it so you can have a spare set of gears and a spare servo case.

Even after "drying" a servo, 80% of the time they fail in a short time. 99% of the time, they fail in an undesirable way that results a catastrophic crash.

Typically, a telltale sign is that they twitch a lot, can't find center, wander to WOT or full brake, respond slowly even with good batteries, then after they do stuff like that, they start working fine just long enough for you to get to a bash site, then they stop.

yeah sounds like i need to buy a new servo. Correction my friend needs to buy a new servo. Thanks for the advice.

Back