Newbie Savage owner, throttle question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadds

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I just got a new Savage 25 RTR today. I haven't even started up the truck yet, just checking everything out. One thing seems a little odd to me though.

While pushing the truck across the table to try out the brakes, and to see if the throttle servo needs adjusted, I noticed when I hold the throttle wide open, the truck seems to bind a little bit. Is this normal?

Anyone know what would cause this, the brake is definately not dragging, and the wheels will turn...they just take more force when the throttle is held open. Thanks

Chad

That certainly is odd. Perhaps when you put the throttle to WOT, you get a little drag brake (I know you said it isn't, but...). You may want to check that the brakes are not being inadvertantly pushed on when you apply throttle.

The reason I say this is simply put, unless the engine is on throttle inputs do nothing to the drivetrain. The only part that the throttle servo interacts with that can do what you describe is the brakes.

Now, playing on the side of coincidence and perhaps bad timing, you may want to remove your tranny, open the case and look inside to make certain that none of you set screws has backed out. This was a problem in old style Savages (like the .21), but that doesn't mean it still couldn't happen.

If you do decide to take apart the tranny, and believe me, it takes awhile: make sure you use either red or blue threadlocker. I prefer blue because its removable, and it still holds untill you screw it out, red is premanent (supposably).

Be sure the brake "lever" on the side of the truck is vertical when at full throttle. I had a problem with mine where it would actually push it so far back towards the gas tank that it would be putting on brakes slightly.

Back