Help Me choose a Custom Maxx Project!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthRacer

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just got a significant raise at work and I have about $750 or more to spend on a Maxx project, but I need help on deciding what to do.

I currently have a Ver 1.0 Maxx w/RPM arms and StableMaxx wheels and an OS .15. See my thread here for a complete hop-up listing.

My Project ideas are:

1) Upgrade the current Maxx to a wide suspension with RPM 2.5 arms and towers, Lunsford 2.5 turbuckles, and Dynamite 2.5 universals.

2) Purchase a new 2.5 Maxx and perform upgrades similar to the above, then selling off the original Maxx.

3) Build a custom Maxx from the ground up with a .21 (may scrap the .21 conversion due to cost) according to the 2.5 Maxx dimensions. Problem here is finding the right parts to bring the total cost close to the $750 budget. The budget will not need to include wheels or shocks as I have them both. I also considered using the original Maxx as parts and selling off the rest.

This is a tough decision fellas. I'd like to do the custom Maxx but I'm not sure I can come close to the budget. Help me out with parts ideas if you can.

This project will need to have a completion date before the RCNT Get-Together so I need to work fast!!!!

Last edited:
Overcoming issues with a .21 conversion are expensive.
Once you have a conversion kit you will need to beef up the drive-train. All metal gears in the transmission and beefed up diffs.

Yes it is possible to do a conversion with stock parts but they wont last more than a few bashing sessions. The bad part is they wont go all at once. you will be replacing parts as a second job.

For your own sake, don't do a conversion unless you do it right the first time.

It may sound as if I am bashing conversions, but I'm not. I'm pointing out the reality of what the power of a .21 can do to your parts.

Yeah Eddy, I've been figuring in the cost of diffs, etc, and I'll easily go over the $750 mark. Maybe I should stick with upgrading my current Maxx or get a 2.5 Maxx and upgrade it??

I wonder if my StableMaxx wheels would hold up on a wide suspension.

Sure,
I have always run wide suspension with offset wheels.
Get yourself a few sets of bearings, this configuration will eat bearings faster than standard wheels. This is the only drawback I have found. It also makes for video worthy cartwheels, the truck footprint is almost square.

I use TeamBluestar bearings. They are better than most for this purpose.

Have you seen the Serio upgrade for the 2.5? I hear from dependable sources that it is a worthy engine upgrade.

Originally posted by FastEddy
Sure,
I have always run wide suspension with offset wheels.
Get yourself a few sets of bearings, this configuration will eat bearings faster than standard wheels. This is the only drawback I have found. It also makes for video worthy cartwheels, the truck footprint is almost square.

I use TeamBluestar bearings. They are better than most for this purpose.

Have you seen the Serio upgrade for the 2.5? I hear from dependable sources that it is a worthy engine upgrade.

Sweet Eddy. I also run Team Bluestar bearings!!! I think I'll upgrade my suspension to WIDE. :D
I just picked up and OS .15, so I might stay away from another engine purchase. I'll keep it in mind through. Heard it makes lots of power.

widetrac ....

If you are going to widen your truck and have that much money you should definately look into supermaxx suspension. I have the supermaxx and also a 2.5 the difference is night and day. with the supermaxx suspension not only will your truck be wider it will handle like a Ferrari. it is very stable and has a ton of adjustments. not to mention it is probably the most durable out there. You will wonder how you ever drove without it. I cannot explain how much this susp. helps. you can look at the site it is www.unlimitedengineering.com there are three setups to choose from. I also have the sirio 18. I love it. very quick and easy to tune stays running forever... and you could possibly afford both with your budget!

UE makes some great stuff. I have reservations about alum A-arms. I do agree that the arms overall will preform better on a track and offer more control, BUT, what is the price for that?

The price is more broken parts. with alum a-arms bulkheads are the weakest part down the line. I would rather replace an a-arm rather then a bulk.

This is OMO, I know people that run them and love them.

Back