Fuel Coming out of Glow Plug

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpk136

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a Revo 2.5R. When i run it, i have fuel that comes out of the top of the glowplug....not out the threads but out where the coil is attached. The engine gets VERY hot. The top of the glow plug then starts smoking. I took the engine apart and sealed everything with sealant. This helped other leak problems, but i don't know what to do about this problem.

I also have another problem, smoke comes out of the top of the fuel tank. The seal is tight, i still get a POP when i open it.

I know the problem is an air leak...how do i fix this.

David

Sounds to me like you're missing the head shim and/or missing the copper washer that goes around the glow plug.

Smoke/steam in the fuel tank is fairly common. Mine does that as well, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I've had a glow plug do that as well, still glowed and tried to run, but wouldnt very well. and fuel would shoot out when trying to start the rig. just replace is and you should be good to go.

Monkeywrench has a good suggestion. Check for the copper washer that shims the plug from the head. If you STILL have a problem after verifying it is there, then I would lean to replacing it.

on mine the fuel was accualy passing through the glo plug, between the threaded "body" and the center "nipple" part. it was very weird! i looked at it while turning the mill over and could see it coming out.

i could twist the "nipple" inside the "body" and it would spin freely, guess just a dud plug....

I had that same thing happen beason. Changing the plug would solve the problem!

i have the copper washer there...it must be the plug. It is happening on a brand new mccoy 59 plug. Oh well, guess i'll have to just replace it.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks.

They must be having quality issues at McCoy, I took a new plug out of the package the other day and my P5 wouldn't start after sitting on the box for a while. Pulled it out and there was no coil. Couldn't even tell there was one there. But really change the plug, it's only a couple bucks.

Try replacing the copper washer first, I have found that some washers are a little tweaked and that can cause fuel to come out, I have flipped the washer and that has fixed the issue, I have also used a different washer from a different plug and that has also fixed the issue.

If it was the washer, wouldn't the fuel be coming out by the threads? The fuel is coming out the top...by the stem.

Maybe i'll send a letter to McCoy if that is the problem. letters always seem to get Free things with them.

my bad, i didnt read every thing, yes you are correct.

Yes, I stand corrected as well! I have never had fuel come out the tip of the plug before, so I figured it was leaking around the base and squirting up.

Learned something new today!

I thought it was coming from the base...but when i looked closer, it was definately coming from the bottom of the stem...its like that seal is bad.

That is why I stopped buying McCoy plugs, out of the 3 pairs I got 2 had bad leaking stems.