Just lost 2 throttle servos...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emu67

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Any of you guys have this problem....I've burnt out 2 throttle servos on 2 different cars over the past 2 weeks. One was a JR, the other a Hitec. They were run for about 4 gallons each.

How long do your throttle servos last, anyway. Just wondering. I would have thought that the steering servos would go first but they are going strong in both buggies.

I've only ever lost 1 throttle servo and that was my fault. endpoint not adjusted properly. other than that, I've lost 2 more servos, both plastic geared, both for steering. stripped the gears nothing more. I've got lots of servo's and burn lots of fuel, and they have all been reliable for me.

I did the same thing Emu...when you set up your radio do set your EPA (End Point Adjustment)?...I learned the hard way too....killed 2 new out of the box servos before I found out I was doing it wrong......made a huge difference once I go it right...what radio and servos are you using?

can you elaborate on setting the EPA.
Correct way to do this?

YA I'm not so sure either. Good question overdrive.

Go to the (E)nd (P)oint (A)djustment portion of your Tx menu screen. Put it on the feature you need, such as steering if you are doing your steering servos. Turn your steering all the way to the right. If the servo is hitting max right and still trying to move the servo, reduce the EPA until you barely see the steering end move away from full right. Repeat for left. Usually EPA's are micro adjustment so by hitting the key to make it move it will not change much, just enough for you to see it move

Idea here is to have the Tx electronically tell your servo where the end of the needed throw is rather than rely on it hitting a physical end point that is still short of the actual full throw of the servo, which causes to constantly push against the physical barrier, resulting in shorter life or a burned out servo. Hope that all made sense.

Two cookies. good job revo so glad rcnt is here i could be screwed

Plaid - I'm using a JR fm computer radio. I thought that I had adjusted the EPA on both servos - one was a hitec 645 the other a JR servo that came standard with Mayhem. I better look into that before I burn out my new servos!

set the EPA Way lower than it needs to be and adjust it going up...I blew mine up by starting at 100% and setting it down....well everytime you test it you are stressing the servo because it's fighting the linkage and everything connected to it......if you start w/ say a 50% EPA stop and let it go a little more each time you can see where you are not getting any more pull than you need.....Corrado was a big help in pointing this out to me (thanks again man).....even if your servo is able to go 2% more than it needs it's trying 100% to get there...well that's for digital servos your analog ones won't burn out that easy....they'll stop trying an back off the voltage at some point....even still set it up from the low end up, not top down.....

I also do it by sound, if at the end point its not making that digital whine, I assume that this means that its not trying to move, this is a good thing since the digitals try really hard to get where you tell them to go, this is why you have to start in the middle and work oyu way up, or else you will stress them too much and they will burn up on you. analog servos tend to try less when they get closer to their end points, this is why they will not burn up on you like the digital can if over stressed.

Back