Painting a motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience painting motor cans. I was hoping just to use some automotive engine block paint. Do you Gents have any insights on the matter?

I have once hugger oranged an old os CV, I used the porcelin type engine paint

Thanks Non Crimen, I'm not sure how apart I can get a tekin motor for anodizing, and thank you hotrodrob I will give that a try....test on an axial engine, and if all goes well, I'll give it a go on a picco.

Remember that a painted engine will retain more heat than an unpainted engine

I guess I'll have to test it and tune accordingly. Although my climate might not get warm enough to do any serious engine damage, once the outside thermometer hits +30 C* I hang up the R/Cs and get my butt down to the lake so I can get some kayaking done.

Last edited:
I do have a local powder coating place within a 30min drive. I wonder how well it adheres to pre-anodized aluminum parts.

Might be nice to get a nitro engine done, and the end caps of my tekin motor, to match my transmission case.

I've never had good luck with that paint. I have used header paint. I can't remember the name but its like $10 a can. It actually helped with turbo temps and for some reason the pipes would cool down alot faster.

That porcelin paint I used was also header paint, pretty sure anyway

So far I've found the header paint in flat black, silver and gun metal.....I was hoping for something that matches my L.E transmission case.

I've done a couple old motors, but I have also done exhaust and the hold up very well with powdercoat

Attachments

• RC 10 13 002 (400x300).jpg
    RC 10 13 002 (400x300).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 198
Thanks those are about what I had in mind but with a colour tweak.

The OP mentioned Tekin a couple of times so I'd say an electric motor, Rolex.

I sorta gave up on getting one of my motors coated, but I'm thinking about gettting an engine done just to see if it becomes harder to use/tune, in the Canadian climate.

Check out an auto supply store. There are quite a few colors available in heat paints made for engines and manifolds. You'll be able to coat the block thin enough where it won't have any effect on holding heat.
I'm pretty sure that's the type of paint used on blocks that come from the factory black instead of raw aluminum. LRP would be one.

Last edited: