Modded F4.6 Savage XL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamMachine

RCTalk Talkaholic
Active Military
Reaction score
Took a few tries but I nailed I think, my attempt at modding a motor. This F4.6 blasts through all 3 gears in like 50ft and just screams for more gearing. The bottom end is stupid, and the difference between it stock and now is black and white. All I did was cut the sleeve and crank, no polishing or flow mods. I wonder if I can get it to pull 60mph 8O

Learned from the best :D

Enjoy and set to HD :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3spd in this truck is the same one I used for my speed runs

I'm going to try to push 20/34 gearing in hopes to reach 60mph with the RTR

Good work , I can really see the difference your mod made .

post me up on how you modified the guts on the 4.6. id like to know if i should do it or just buy an LRP ZR.32

From what I understood, the 3 speed with the taller 3rd gear was supposed to take it to 55 with the stock 4.6 and stock spur. Certainly not with the 19 lbs in the Bling Thing, but the basic Savage.

wait a second... do i sense some JB weld in those diffs??

Dude I was freakin out the whole time driving there and will not be going back. I did have a black and white pull shortly after I got there and wanted to trap some speed for me. Un tuned and stuck in 2nd it was pullin a solid 40mph with 16/52. I said where have you been when I'm running my purpose built truck speed trucks lol.

I just changed the timing by cutting all the ports and crank. Not by much as the motor is already slightly timed stock. It took me a few tries lol.

As for the gearing, no stock savage regardless of motor can pull 55mph. Modded motor and correct gearing, well you have all seen what can happen. Now Rolex I am going to try to pull 60mph out of it if possible but this F4.6 was built to quench my desire to mod a motor. Its a lot harder than one thinks.

The diffs are fill with 100,000wt

The diffs are fill with 100,000wt
Man that's interesting. You obiously have done your homework on speed runs, so know what you are doing. I'm used to vehicles with center diffs . The Savage and mini-might 8ight are only vehicles I still have grease. Trying to find the advantage of swapping. The vehicle is run in all types of terrains and is not raced (else I would put a center diff in it ;-). I've asked lot's of folks of the advantage (specifically for change of direction/acceleration in bashing environments) but have not had anyone explain it. I would love to learn something on that as I will switch to oil in a heart-beat...just need to understand what to expect. As an example, on an off-road track I like on-power steering so go with higher oils in f/r. However high is between 7-12(front) and 2-5 (rear) for me.

What does the stock grease equate to ~?. Thx

Last edited:
I used to run synthetic wheel bearing grease inside my diffs. Lets just say after a while the grease starts to dry up. I also used the same grease to lube the ring and pinion. Through my testing this grease I used wasn't very think when compared to say 50k wt oil. Most will tell you 50k in the front and 30k in the rear is the best option. I tend to agree, I filled the diffs in the video up with 100k because I didnt have much 50k left. Thicker oil for better straight line and thinner for better cornering, but theres a line between to thick and to thin. You have to try different weights to find what you like. Normally I run 50k front and rear but do like the 30k in rear, swings the rear end around nicely lol.

Disadvantage to thinner oil is they leak out over time. Thicker takes much much much longer to leak. Grease doesn't leak out lol

Would you post pics of your sleeve and crank ??
Taller on intake port so it closes later?
And taller on exhaust port so it opens sooner??

Last edited: