Confused New guy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Willis

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm pretty new to R/C cars, I've got an ACME cyclone kit with a .18 engine and it runs pretty well, despite what everyone says about how bad they are. I really like the cyclone and as a sumer project I was hoping to get a second hand off roader to strip down, put back together and upgrade a bit. I was reading through some of the threads and people are talking about lots of different parts that I've vaguely heard of before, but I'm not really sure what they are and what they do, like clutch bell, slipper clutch, clutch shoes, spur gears...

I was just wondering if anyone could point me towards a website or something that would explain all this to me. Also, if anyone could point me towards any good products that I would buy second hand that would be great!

Thanks in advance

If you go to the ACME site you can download a parts explosion drawing that labels all of the parts for your Cyclone.

As a simple suggestion, for starters, go to HPI's website and download the manuals. You can do the same at Traxxas and Acme.
Maybe not your car, but they are all fairly similar. At least you'll find out what the parts are called, where they are and what their function is.

There is a really good book reference on this sites homepage..it is about half way down the page on the right.. I would start with The Rc Bible.. There is also a good rc terms link right under it that explains all the rc terms you will ever hear or see.. I hope all that helps and also just ask in the correct forum and we all will try to help... These are a great bunch of people they have helped me a lot in my short time as a club member.. so good luck with your project..