Slightly inflated lipo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WazabiQc

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys ! i have a Duratrax onyx 5700 DTXC 1970, which i noticed to be slightly inflated after my last run ! i have 3.69 V in each cells. What should i do ? i didn't try to charge it yet ! i'm waiting your answers !

I had one the other day that was a little inflated, I balanced it and its seems fine now. It could've been just a fluke thing, but it worked.

well in fact, it's just a little inflated, not enought for the battery to "balloon" but just enough so i can feel the plastic is lifted from the cell when i tap it..

I've seen lipo's that were "slightly" puffed run in an RC go up in flames. One guy lost an ESC and receiver in addition to the damage to the RC. Another went up right after it was charged.

I dispose of any lipo or life pack that shows signs of puffing. Not worth it to me, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Always thought puffing was a sign of a leak

+1! If they're puffed, they got tossed.

I'm sorry to ask this, I'm so confused about the LIPOs puffed. Do I need to discharge them or is that dangerous, can I just go drop them off at Lowes recycling? Or do i have to do the salt water thing. I'm concerned to discharge them for fear they might get flames.

I cut the connector off one wire at a time and submerge the pack in salt water for a week or so. I then simply toss the pack in the trash.

Thanks Rob, can I submerge more than one pack in the same water and if they are charged batteries is that ok? Can I leave the connectors on, don't want them to cross.

Last edited:
Cut the leads to the connectors at different lengths and they won't cross. Yes you can put more than one pack at a time and they don't need to be discharged. The salt water will do the job.

I'm adding this thread to my favorites. Thanks buddies, I'm new to lipo's and I didn't know any of this stuff. Salt water?

Salt water neutralizes the electrolyte in the battery. Once it has been soaking in the salt water for about a week, they can be thrown in the garbage with no worries.

sorry last question if I have a pail of water, how much salt (table salt ok?) shall I put in it, and do I have to stir it

I use and old margarine tub with 3 tbsp. of salt dissolved in warm not hot water (it helps dissolve the salt).

My dad flies large electric helis so he has lots of like massive 6s cells that get puffy from time to time. We take them out back and shoot the AR at them. Way more fun.

I put the lipo on discharge, my charger takes it down to 9v. I then cut the connector off of the battery and hook it up to a12v light fixture, it takes a few hours to bring a 3s pack down to zero voltage.....check this with a meter before you move on to the next step! Once you confirm 0 voltage twist/solder the positive and negative together and toss the pack.

I always use a lipo sack to charge or discharge lipos

I put the lipo inside of a metal ammo can while the pack is on the 12v light

This was a cheap eBay 3s lipo, it lasted 8 cycles in a 2wd slash before starting to swell....Looks like I got what I paid for!
light12v_zpsa3c448e0.jpg

zerov_zpsa49cafb3.jpg

Last edited:
My dad flies large electric helis so he has lots of like massive 6s cells that get puffy from time to time. We take them out back and shoot the AR at them. Way more fun.

And this is one of the reasons why so many lakes have fish loaded with mercury that we can't eat!

I didn't say we shoot them in Lake Michigan lol.

Doesn't matter where you do it, eventually all the poop in your yard or what people toss out of the car makes it to the rivers and lakes man,mercury is terrible nasty stuff man, and it never dissolves, please take responsibility in properly getting rid of batteries