Aftershock? Anyone have one?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just putting a feeler out there to get some input on the losi aftershock. I figured it might get some results in the LST sub-forum.

I thought about getting a LST2, but it has a bunch of stuff I'd remove or don't need anyway. I don't need the radio, have one and a spare receiver in a box. I'd ditch reverse and possibly the high/low gear in the trans. That leaves plastic shocks and 14mm hex's. I could upgrade the shocks, but I'd rather have the 14mm hex's as that's what I have laying around. I have 3 full spare sets of wheels/tires for my savage and revo.

Am I missing something else on the aftershock that makes it less of a truck than the LST2? Engine, pipe, wheels, shocks, trans... what else is there that's been stripped from the LST2 to make an Aftershock?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks guys.

well heres vids of mine in action if this helps
th_picture126.jpg

th_picture122.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0E7_0aG34"]YouTube - losi aftershock[/ame]

From what I have read the Aftershock is the LST 1 with obvious differences. The only thing that is different that doesn't show is the tranny gears...This is something I have read and I can not confirm.
Losi Aftershock, have you had to open the tranny for any reason? The LST tranny gears are all metal, I have read that the Aftershock has one are two gears that are plastic, can you confirm?

After running the LST a handful of times here's my thoughts

Best handling MT that I have driven, even with the huge moabs it handles very well.

I'm not impressed with the drive train, broken cvd's, axles, and two trips inside the tranny for bs problem that would be resolved with a FOC. The LST 2 drive train is supposed to be more durable.

I can't comment of the stock engine but with a Picco .26 and stock gearing the speed is close to a Revo 3.3

The gearing selection sucks, the only real choice is 8man pinions and they are $35.00 for a set. With the stock gears and the 6.9 inch tall Moabs it's under geared IMO, if I was willing to buy the 8man pinions and add a few teeth it would be scary!

Last edited:
i can confirm that 2 of the tranny gears as shown in the pic are plastic but other wise the thing runs like hell goes like hell sorry for sayin the h alot but any ways i think its very good at handling if u put the shocks at half way each mine pulls the wheels with 4wd

picture205.jpg

Last edited:
I never had a bad gear in the tranny in my old LSTs.I got the TiNi gear upgrades but never installed. at about 75 bucks for that kit...its a definite want not a need. I have read about the gear selector on the OG LST being lame but they claim the LST2 had that improved as well. Shocks....I like the threaded ones with the TiNi coated shafts. Definitely a plus in my book. I ran the yello springs and that thing handled WELL to say the least.

that I'm not sure about

SMaxxin Quote:
Originally Posted by losi aftershock
i can confirm that 2 of the tranny gears as shown in the pic are plastic

I was referring to the gears inside of the tranny.

These are links to all the gears in the trans:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3118
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3136
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3133

None of which appear to be plastic and all of which are also for the LST2 and LST.

I believe the trans differences between the aftershock and lst/lst2 is that the aftershock doesn't have high/low or the mechanics for it. It also doesn't have reverse.

The two speed is build different though, the components themselves are considerably cheaper... The shaft they ride on and the slipper is the same, but the two speed gears, two speed clutch and one way are different:

LST/LST2
2-Speed Low Gear Hub w/1-Way: LST, LST2(LOSB3410) $21.84
2-Speed High Gear Hub w/Bearing: LST, LST2(LOSB3411) $16.99
70T Spur Gear, Low Gear: LST, LST2(LOSB3420) $4
63T Spur Gear, High Speed: LST, LST2(LOSB3424) $4

AFTERSHOCK:
63T Spur Gear, High Gear: AFT(LOSB3423) $5
70T Spur Gear, Low Gear: AFT(LOSB3421) $5
2-Speed Low Gear 1-Way: AFT(LOSB3409) $14.99

It appears that all of the LST2 stuff could be bought later and used if the stock stuff doesn't hold up very well.

Ok heres what I know about losi monster trucks. I rember there being a thread on here about a year ago on how guys were runing circles around revo's. I found that absoultly not true espically with the 3.3. There was a guy at my local track that had a race lst2 and a basher aftershock. The after shock looked to be a pretty stable rig and handled nice off the jumps by the look of it but they were just too heavy to be competitive. I know your looking for a bash rig or at least I think you are and I would say its a good all around truck from what I hear. A guy on the back side of my neighbor hood is still trying to get rid of his lst first edition for 350$. I would take it off his hands beings its got under a gallon on it but I'm too busy saving for my buggy. Well hope this helped a little olds!

Bryson

Yep, I'm a dedicated basher only. I'm looking into the aftershock more for typical bashing/jumping. My revo does ok and handles well while my savage could endure jump after jump, but handles like a brick. I'm looking for something that can do both and do both relatively well.

I have my revo extended with a 3.3 chassis and I have a NE BB kit in it along with P3 rockers. It does a lot better with the P3's than it did with the P2's as far as handling jumps goes. But I worry about big jumps making the engine bay bend or the engine itself shift. While it seems to do fine with 2-4 foot jumps, I'm hesitant to get some real air under it.

My savage has a plethora of upgrades as well. 8 1/8 buggy shocks, skips composite towers and a bunch of other junk. It can get 6-8 feet of air under it all day long. It just doesn't handle well.

The LST2 and/or Aftershock appear to be built for both decent handling and decent air. I just don't see the need to spend $650 (closer to $700 with tax) on something that has a bunch of crap installed I'd rather not deal with.

The Aftershock just seems like a good fit for what I want and the price is much more friendly. Especially after I sell the radio/receiver for $50-$75 on eBay since I have no use for it.

Just a thought. If you wanted a lst, I could get you that lst, and if you didnt want the radio I could pull it and pay for it, seeing how I'm in the market for a radio. I have to find out if that thing is synthesized? Just a thought too keep in mind.

Bryson

Thanks for the offer Bryson. If you were next door, I'd look at it and probably buy it because it's convenient. But, I feel like something new for a change. I haven't had a "new" truck in 4 years and that was a t-maxx...

I've committed to buying the aftershock. I called my LHS and told them to hold the one they have for me to pick up Saterday. I went to a local LHS and bought the two sets of RPM arms they had and spare spur gears just in case. Then I got back to work and still had the itch for more, so I bought 2 more sets of RPM arms, the RPM gear cover and put a bid on the LST2 2-speed package someone was offering. So, I'm $70 in the hole on a truck I don't have yet!

Before anyone says "why didn't you just buy an LST2", I would have bought this junk anyway and I would have had to buy wheel adapters for 14mm (I like maxx wheels), more RPM stuff to adapt to the LST2 and I still would have bought spare spurs. Regardless which truck I would have bought, I'd still have $70 worth of spare parts already.

Back