TRX 3.3 Con Rod play at TDC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJay

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was just doing my 6th tank on a new TRX 3.3 and the one way bearing failed / siezed on the crank killing the engine .... I was stone cold sober at the time so it took me a tear down to figure it out. Anyway, while I was trying to start the engine with the bearing stuck to the crank I thought I was hearing a clunk or knock....

Finally go home and take the motor out, persuade the bearing to turn lose of the crankshaft and I noticed that there seems to be a lot of play in the rod at TDC. Pulling the back plate off the bottom end showed that there was play there... Probably too much, but what is normal on this thing... do they clunk a little? Why does this car hate me?? I love on it and rub on it but it never responds...

Oh, forgot to add, the play was with the plug out... Putting the plug back in it feels perfect on the ISO-9000 finger test, (Calibrated for Eastern Daylight Savings Time at MSL)

Toodles and what not..
AJ

Last edited:
Apparently there's something about you that just ticks it off...

Get in touch with Traxxas. They're pretty good about warranties. You might get a new engine if there's a problem with the one you have.

Get in touch with Traxxas. They're pretty good about warranties. You might get a new engine if there's a problem with the one you have.

The answer I was looking for is, "Dude they do that a little, it's fine... run it in for another tank and then hit the track..."

...but I thank your for your quick reply non the less Bro.

AJ - A 1:1 Scale Muppet.

The answer I was looking for is, "Dude they do that a little, it's fine... run it in for another tank and then hit the track...".

Of course, sorry about my last reply.

Dude, they do that a little, it's fine... run it in for another tank and then hit a curb...:D

Dude, they do that a little, it's fine... run it in for another tank and then hit a curb...:D

I didn't actually replace the one-way bearing today, but I did drain my 60 gallon air compressor 3 times blowing ALL the dust off of it, used up a can of Pledge polishing it and scrubbed the motor down with 1/2 gallon of thinner and a tooth brush.. It won't pass for new now, it looks too good. It should run great.

If it still doesn't run right tomorrow I'm busting out the Dremel and polishing the chassis to a mirror.. I already have all the Frenchie-Poo bag nastie blue stripped off of it... She should SCREAM after that.

AJ - Undercover Juggalo

i heard reading it bed time stories makes it run better =]

i heard reading it bed time stories makes it run better =]

Roger.. got it... Bedtime stories.

Okay, polished up the newly unanodized chassis and freshly spunked up the (did the header mod and stuff) powertrain.... Sounds like a pack of rabid squirrels on crack. Head to the ball diamond and IMMEDIATLY strip the front drive shaft outta the diff.... No probs.. Gotta rear diff... She's just 2WD now.

Dude if you ever get the chance to drop down the gearing on your crapped out 2.5R (flips on the 1-2 shift low.. Grabs 2nd on the way outta the garage low) and slip in a 3.3R with the close ratio 2 speed you need to do it.. So okay; you can't give it ANY throttle (pronounced "CHRottel") if the wheels aren't PERFECTLY straight but who cares... I come back home and tell the missez and neighbors (AIRBORNE!!) about my "new" 2wd REVO and wheelies (pronounced "Willies") and stuff..... they want a demo. (Insert the sound of Beer Induced Damage "BID" here... No large animals were hurt.)

Bottom line, my "Free" revo needs a couple of front shock pivot bolts ($12.50 for 4.) A pittance compared to the $168.32 for a gallon of fuel, air cleaner, battery charger / batteries, assorted bolts and glow plugs, new 3.3TRX ($129.00) misc. parts, clutch rebuild, slipper kit and servo's ($174.27)....

I don't know where this is going but my "Free" 2.5R is into me for about $600.00... The LHS sells the 3.3RTR for $459.00 out the door. Man have I ever screwed those guys!

Got the AM 3 channel glitchin a bit and I don't like the way that Opticrap reverse is working.... I figure another 5 hunnert and this thing will be Ready to Run.. anyone looking to adopt a middle-aged action figure (Complete assembly, RTR with gun and theme music) with an expensive new habit??? Please?

AJ - Undercover Juggalo

(Camacho for President)

Last edited:
sounds like a good time man. nothing better than doing it yourself.

Camacho for President? that big black dude with the hair?
you crazy=]