Warn Spur Gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koobs120

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got a new spur gear for my savage25. I put it on my truck and went to tune it to the cold. While i was tuning it in I turned around and as i was accelerating nothin was happening. So I went to take a look and I see the spur gear is totally warn down. What made this happen? Can you answer these questions too? :shrug:

Is it the positioning of the engine? :shrug:
Should I get an ALLUMINUM SPUR GEAR?? :shrug:
What would I have to do to install an ALLUMINUM SPUR GEAR?? :shrug:

Thanks, Koobs :boxing:

Sounds like the results of an impropper gear mesh. You don't need a metal gear, the wrong mesh with two metal gears will tear up both the spur gear and clutch bell.

Cut a strip from the thick plastic bag that the new spur gear comes in. Put it between the spur and the clutch bell, and press them together while tightening the engine mounts. When it's been tightened down, pull out the plastic strip, and you have the correct clearance.
The only thing you have to check before tightening is that the engine is mounted square, and not at an angle to the spur.

yeah sounds like improper mesh... I've had my savage for a littel over a year... and in about 6 gallons i have used two spur gears... being on the second.... the first one melted becuase i was trying to rock crawl so it wasn't even the mesh's fault.

my friend has had his savage 9 months and has neaver stripped a spur gear, on the other hand, i strip about 2 a week. it's not because of improper mesh(i'm like an expert at that now, lol) it was the thick grass and landing with the throttle on that did them in. so i got a steel one and had no other problems, i bent my TVPs instead though, lol

So you just push the spur against the cb with the piece of plastic in between the two and pull it out, and you have a good mesh? I have always done it by the noise and feel.

The plastic bag never fails. The first time you do it, you'll never do it any other way again. I used to do it by sound and feel, but it took a lot longer. Many times, when you tighten the engine, it will tighten up the mesh just a little extra. Then you have to loosen it and do it again, sometimes 2 or 3 times till it was right.
With the plastic in there the mesh is correct every time.

Rolex said:
... when you tighten the engine, it will tighten up the mesh just a little extra. Then you have to loosen it and do it again, sometimes 2 or 3 times till it was right...
Nothing I hate more than that...ok, mushrooms aside, nothing I hate more. I am going to try your bag trick as I also like to burn up a few spur gears. If you see me at the track or at sa bash, you can be sure I have extra spurs for anyoen who needs them although it's usually me. :hammer:

is it the 2 sides of the packaging or is it just one of the sides??

ok thanks, I'm prolly gonna get to that this weekend.... I'm gonna get some other stuff for my truck as well!

Back