hyper 8 port READ THIS!!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadbody

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok fellas do not use your drill to start your truck as i did..at first it works well but it broke the turbine inside the engine and chipped i nice chunk off the piston..so needless to say i have totally destroyed this engine..now i have to shell out another 150 bucks for a new 1..and beleive me from what little driving i got to do with it, it will be worth buying a new one

damn that was quick!

Ok - NO DRIL STARTER!

Copy on the NO Drill Starter. I was seriously considering it to. Took the Savage out Today, had to take a break after I got it started 4 blisters. I left my gloves at work

if you take 2 sheets of paper towl and wrap it around the handle it will provide a cusion and form to your hand...works good...no more blisters or cramped fingers

Not doubting you totally here but are you sure it was the drill start that broke your 8 port and not some sort of manufacturer defect? I mean even the tiniest defect can make a product break. When you consider what the drill start is it's only a remote electric starter rather than something that the engine was never designed to use.

I still plan on buying a drill start, though I may come up with a modification to help prevent it from breaking the engine but I if memory serves the drill start came with a short flexible extension that should have taken the shock from the drill to the engine. I'll keep you guys posted.

what actually broke was the turbine inside that holds the 1 way bearing..it was having a hard time starting so i raised the clutch number on the drill and it was to much torque I'm guessing

There is a pin in the turbo fan inside the Hyper that fits in the end of the crankshaft. it sounds like you had hydro locked it and that's how and why it broke. To start high compression engines loosen the glow plug 1/2 turn start the engine, then when it's running tighten the glow plug. You can get the parts to fix that engine on ebay for about $50 bucks, here is what it should look like.
site1069.jpg

here is what broke
522crack.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Black-wolf to RCNT! Thanks for the link.

I saw that on Savage21, but I believe you still have to cut a hole in the shock tower.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I will try to stick here more often, thanks again!! :)

What i found wiht my stock 21b bis if i loosen the glow plug up a tad to get ithe intial start going, the blisters do not happen.. this will work till teh engine breaks in a bit also till the comp comes down a bit

CRSMP5, what til you get an OFNA 8 port (if you do plan on getting one). You could take the plug out and the pull start is hard to pull. This darn 8port is a nightmare getting started up for the first time. After that, its just hard. :)

sound like hydro lock to me, the engine is flooded with fuel. you can tell when it's hydro lock when you pull start because it wont turn over at all, but with a drill you can't really tell. i use a leather glove to pull start, no blister

Is anyone using a 1.5v hobby cell to use as a glo ignitor? Rason I ask is it DOES in fact make a big difference. Dont get me wrong, I understand that a new mill, especially the Hyper8 is tough to start due to its awesome compression, but, a damn good ignitor will make a huge impact on startability.

U got a link to where i could get one of these starters?

My starter box (12v) for my NTC3 has a front panel with connections for a glow plug warmer. I use that, plus it has a dial so you can turn up the Heat/Electricity.

Back