Schumacher XTR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulangelo

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
anyone have any comments? or expierence with one?

YEE HAAA I got it tonight. after a little falling out with the wife looks like all is settled. "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" anyway I have my work cut out for me. this car has alot of nice upgrades but in rough shape. Any ideas on best way to clean gunk and dirt/fuel from the chassis and other parts? Have to rebuild the pull start (ez start??) rebuild the shocks, put in a new servo, clean it and get a new body. all things for a fun winter. Please anyone, this is a first for me so any advice and help is appreciated.

The best thing to clean your RC with is rubbing Alcohol. You will also have to take some parts off for a good cleaning if really dirty.

Rubbing alcohol is just as effective for cutting the oils as a much costlier nitro cleaner from the hobby shop.
Get 3 spray bottles, fill one with the rubbing alcohol, fill another with a mix of water and DAWN dish washing liquid, and the other with clear rinse water. I only use Dawn since it's the best grease cutting dish soap there is. Hopefully you have an air compressor and a blow gun.
Spray alcohol to break down the oils, let it soak and blow it off. Then use the Dawn and rinse a few times, blowing it off after each rinse. Avoid getting the electronics wet. It's mainly around the engine it needs it. You can do this to the whole car, small areas at a time, avoiding the servos and receiver.
You might also want to use a stiff bristle paint brush to jab at stubborn spots, then spray and rinse again. Do the final rinse with the alcohol, since it will mix with any water and dry off well. After the final blow dry, do a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water, and blow that off as well. Everything gets nice and black, and with the Armoral on it, dirt won't stick to it as easily as it would if you gave it a 'sheen' with WD-40.

cool, thanks that sounds like something I can do and get the car factory clean. I have to remove the servos anyway (the reciever is already off) and was thinking about putting it in the dish washer :jk: . I do have a air compressor so this is a definite posibility. alcohol, (rubbing I assume not drinking) dawn (or a dish soap that cuts grease) (how about fantastic) and water. finish with armourall and water and blow it after every application of the above. it can and will be done. Thanks again

here is a photo of my new toy when I first got it
schuie3.gif

and with the lid on
126-2685_IMG.gif

126-2686_IMG.gif

126-2687_IMG.gif

after cleaning it up a little
126-2682_IMG.gif

126-2683_IMG.gif

126-2684_IMG.gif

and my new lid
126-2689_IMG.gif

126-2691_IMG.gif

126-2692_IMG.gif

126-2690_IMG.gif

The clean pictures look WAY better. What kind of wire was on the first body ???

I had one of those awhile back. It was a fun truck....way too fast!! Great truck for bashing with some incredible all out speed!

ToRqUe said:
The clean pictures look WAY better. What kind of wire was on the first body ???
That is just some old fashion chicken wire. shoe glued into the body. helped with air flow. (I think) I'm going to runa more traditional one. also looking for another body to fit it. but I think the desert storm body is prety unique. Don't see many of them at the track around here

hudler said:
I had one of those awhile back. It was a fun truck....way too fast!! Great truck for bashing with some incredible all out speed!
after only getting it started last saturday, I know what you mean about the speed. And this is just the 1 speed. I cannot imangine the 3 speed truck!!!! but I am thinking about that upgrade over the winter so I don't have to just imangine it!!

I had the single speed only, and it was fast enough, Look on the schumacher site in the forums, you might be able to get a used three speed and some other upgrades, can't remember what all the upgrades were, the spur gear on mine was the weak point, just kept a couple spares and I was fine. Pretty solid truck.

Is that 1 of those .70 big blocks ???

it's a Big block nitro engine, Thunder Tiger PRO .21R. and is VERY fast.

I dont get how Thunder Tiger cars and trucks be so fast if they only use a 21 like others ???

It's a schumacher car that uses a thunder tiger engine.

that is correct, I have no idea what the thunder tiger cars use. It would make sence if they used their own engines but I don't think they do.

Schumacher XTR - General questions

Hey all, I just ordered a Schumacher XTR and have a couple of questions.

This is my first Nitro and not sure how nitro fuel works. Would someone mind giving some advice on this? (mixing, ratio's etc.)

Anything to look for (weak points on this vehicle)?
General Maintance tips, upgrades?
I do not remember if it is 4wd or 2wd? ( I bought it used to gain some skill)

Look forward to chatting with everyone. :cheers:

I think it has the TT .21 engine. You just buy nitro fuel ( 20% ) and pour it in.. no mixing or blending required! I'm pretty sure it is 4wd... Belt driven..

Thanks for the reply...I wasn't sure about nitro fuel...