Motor/ESC for my RC8.2e?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbnjzb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Any suggestions or recommendations on motors/ESC for my RC8.2e? I'm not trying to spend too much but wanna be competitive! Thanks!

Yea, i have a tekin T8 and a Tekin Rx8 Escawsome comb, but pretty pricey. The second "half" or so people at my track use castle to. But IMO Tekin is best for racing.-2 choice is castle. There are other options that will be competitive, but you just have to research

I agree exmark93.
Tekin for racing
Castle for bashing

Only thing that concerns me is it seems like Castle ESCs quality has gone down the toilet. Luckily they have a decent warranty.

IMO tacon motors are an awesome bang for the buck. I put a tacon 540 4300kv in an evader, paired it with a castle sidewinder esc and I am loving the performance. I was only out around $80 for the pair. $30-$35 for the motor $50ish for esc

If you wanna go budget Id suggest tacon motor as well (as what KV rating id look at something close to what the Stock RTR comes with). For a decent budget ESC the Hobby wing EZRUN SC8 or maybe the EZRUN SC10 (again compare spec with the RTRs ESC and at least meet those specs, better if you go beyond them) from hobbypartz.com. I've got an EZRUN SC8 and a tacon 3500kv in one of my kits and I really have no complaints.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I am looking for budget but best budget. So I'm gonna look into them. Tacon and EZRUN. What about Turnigy (Hobbyking)? I have them in my savage and the power!!!

traxxas velion with a lipo is crazy fast

i was lookin at the ezrun and theres also xerun,whats the difference between the 2?

The tacon motor has basically identical performance specs as traxxas velenion for a fraction of the price. Now I'm not downing the velenion just saying you can get same performance for fraction of price, now as far as longevity of the tacon, I don't know because I have only had one a short time. I'm not sure how much the ezruns cost, but like I said earlier I am more than satisfied with my castle creations sidewinder2. And at $50 it fit my budget nicely.

Hobbywing has two different lines of motors and ESCs. EZRUN and XERUN. I honestly dont know what the difference is between the two. I think Xerun is supposed to be their top of the line stuff? I can't say for sure. I know for 89 bucks I love my EZRUN SC8 Since it can handle up to 120A you can run it in any 1/10 application and its capable of handling alot of 1/8 scale applications too. I also have a CC Sidewinder SCT which is decent. I like it because I have more programming options on it than the EZRUN SC8 but it can't handle more than 3S lipo (the EZRUN SC8 does up to 4S). The sidewinder also doesn't have a fan which the EZRUN does. I ended up having to juryrig a fan of my own on the top of my Sinderwinder SCT because it was getting to hot. The EZRUN never got above 90F in my truck on 3S and was running it at a much lower that stock gear ratio and I have it completely plasti-dipped for water proofing. I'm afraid to Plasti-dip the Sidewinder SCT for fear of overheating it.

So I guess in summation what I'm trying to say is the EZRUN will cost more than a sidewinder but can handle quite a bit more than the sidewinder. The only thing the Sinderwinder has on it is the ability to hook it up to your computer and play with throttle and braking curves. That being said CC seems to be having alot of quality control issues these days so its kind of a crap shoot. If you're gonna be using it in a light application the sidewinder is probably great. if you planning on pushing some limits Id suggest the EZRUN or better yet a Tekin ESC if you really want quality.

Last edited:
Yea, I agree with that ^, that sums it up about right.

traxxas velion with a lipo is crazy fast
sorry but traxxas is out of the picture when racing. The motor is not near the performance and quality of other brands. but also sensor less motors can't quite keep up with nicer stuff. bashing sure

I have a XERUN V10 G3R sensored combo in my B74, and right now, I love it from the beginning to the end. I only did some practice sessions before Christmas, but from what I understand at the track, I am going to race with it. (and see the results versus all the other guys with Tekin stuff...)

IMG_3376.JPG

I have also a EZRUN Max 10 on my Slash 2WD and I like it too. It's enough for 2WD plastic SCT chassis little races at the same track.

IMG_3242.JPG

From HW web site, the XERUN is for " Extremely High-Level Racing".
So, HW could be an option for DBnjz...